Lead AI Scientist - Pricing/Finance
Description: As a Lead A.I. Scientist on the Pricing and Finance team, you will develop artificial intelligence models and algorithms for our retail business. You will work closely with partner team data scientists and retail business partners to continuously learn more about our business and particularly develop an understanding of the various processes we have in play. You will partner with engineers and scientists on partner teams and your own to build solutions for our business needs including development, deployment, and maintenance of algorithms and models.
We are a multi-disciplinary team of people skilled in optimization, machine-learning, operations research, statistics, distributed systems, and functional programming.
Pricing is a very large and interesting problem that we have fun thinking through and solving. We'd love to hear from you if you are interested in a role that calls for a combination of optimization, statistical data analysis, mathematical modeling, programming with Python/R and good software engineering. Domain expertise in retail operations isn't necessary; we'll happily teach you that. We emphasize both learning and teaching within the group, we're excited to teach you and to learn from you!
In this role at Target as a Lead AI Scientist, you will:
- Research techniques and prototype methods and tools to make pricing decisions at scale across our physical stores and digital channels. These typically involve ideas from optimization, dynamic programming, reinforcement learning, machine learning and statistical modeling.
- Analyze vast amounts of data to spot opportunities to improve both our pricing decisions and processes.
- Test and learn to influence and drive the creation of new methods and best practices in the use of optimization methods, statistical data modeling and machine learning techniques in a big data environment to build these tools for Target's pricing/merchandizing operations.
- Realize solutions to business problems using data analysis, data mining, optimization tools, and machine learning techniques and statistics
- Deploy data-science and technology based algorithmic solutions to address business needs
- Understand implementation of complex problems in technical retail business setting
- Partner with and communicate clearly with technology partners, data engineers and business partners on desired solutions
- Review models and algorithms developed by the team
- Keep abreast of industry research
- Mentor/train peer scientists and engineers
- Support agile ceremonies
- Work with engineers to design, deploy and productize algorithms and models
- Work with technology partners to understand systems
- 4+ years of experience in building machine learning models, artificial intelligence models, optimization algorithms or equivalent experience
- Proficient in one or more of Scala, Python, R or equivalent programming language
- Deployed large scale models/algorithms in prior experience
- Deep understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Expertise in linear algebra, statistics, information theory or related mathematical domains
- Ability to test and measure algorithms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- PhD in Math, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science or a related field
- Interest in continuous learning across different fields, especially statistics, optimization, econometrics, functional programming, clean software engineering and of course retail operations with emphasis on merchandizing and pricing!
- Excellent client-facing skills and experience
- You will work directly on the AI problems that have the most impact on Target's pricing and finance outcomes.
- You will help define and shape what future of retail would look like. Let's mine the right data to derive actionable insights that drive value.
- We value diversity. We believe that diversity and inclusion is of core importance when try to create positive in-store experiences for our guests, and we think it is also critically important when building our teams. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion - https://corporate.target.com/corporate-responsibility/diversity-inclusion
- We value our team members for who they are, not just what they can get done. We are parents, hobbyists, enthusiasts, family members, and community members, and can offer flexibility to our team members' schedules and work arrangements so that they can flourish both inside and outside of work.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
Target will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Back to top