AI Scientist Internship - Summer 2021
- Minneapolis, MN
Description: As a Scientist Intern on the Artificial Intelligence team, you will develop artificial intelligence models and algorithms for our retail business. You will work closely with partner team data scientists and retail business partners to continuously learn more about our business and particularly develop an understanding of the various processes we have in play. You will partner with engineers and scientists on partner teams and your own to build solutions for our business needs including development, deployment, and maintenance of algorithms and models.
- Join us for a 10-week summer experience in Minneapolis, Minnesota getting exposed to Target's culture and work life
- Develop and deploy models/algorithms for simulation platform based on Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Dynamic Programing, Reinforcement Learning Algorithms etc.
- Understand implementation of complex problems in technical retail business setting
- Partner with and communicate clearly with technology partners, data engineers and business partners on desired solutions
- Review models and algorithms developed by team
- Keep abreast of industry research
- Mentor/train peer scientists and engineers
- Support agile ceremonies
Work with engineers to design, deploy and productize algorithms and models
- Works with technology partners to understand systems
- Working towards a PhD in math, advanced statistics, physics, bio statistics, bio science, operations research and/or computer science
- Proficient in one or more of C++, Java, Scala, Python or equivalent programming language
- Deployed large scale models/algorithms in prior experience
- Deep understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Expertise in linear algebra, statistics, information theory or related mathematical domains
- Understanding of deep learning, dynamic programming, reinforcement learning or related areas both in theory and practice
- Ability to test and measure algorithms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- We are using great tools. Not only are we using programming languages like Haskell, Rust, Scala, and Python, but we are also using modern tooling and infrastructure like Nix, Kubernetes, and Kafka.
- We love open source! Many of our team member's contribute to open source communities and get to do it during work time. We try to contribute back to our communities where we can and are grateful to be able to open source some of our own projects!
- We value diversity. We believe that diversity and inclusion is of core importance when try to create positive in-store experiences for our guests, and we think it is also critically important when building our teams. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- We value our team members. We treat out team members like people, not like cogs in a machine. We value our team members for who they are, not just what they can get done. We are parents, hobbyists, enthusiasts, family members, and community members, and can offer flexibility to our team members' schedules and work arrangements so that they can flourish both inside and outside of work.
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
Back to top