TAMKO Building Products, Inc. is seeking a Process Engineer at our High Street manufacturing facility in Joplin, Missouri. The Process Engineer will evaluate process performance and conduct process improvement projects on multiple roofing manufacturing production lines within one manufacturing facility.
Summary of essential job functions To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Evaluate and improve current manufacturing systems and improve reliability of mechanical systems in machinery which is exposed to abrasive materials.
• Model mechanical systems in AutoCAD to improve the life cycle of high wear components.
• Apply statistical analysis methods to drive data-based decision making practices.
• Provide appropriate project justification and cost-benefit analysis when appropriate for project proposals.
• Develop project scopes, solicit bids from vendors, manage installation of capital improvement projects.
Requirements • Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering field from an accredited university (Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Preferred).
• Expert user of AutoCAD and Microsoft Office.
• Ability to effectively present and communicate work to plant management, peers and maintenance/operations personnel.
• Must be a productive team player that successfully works with operations, maintenance and engineering.
• Apply principles of mathematics, statistics and engineering to resolve recurring process issues.
• Empowered, self-directed individual who is capable of prioritizing work load and resources to provide the most benefit to the production process.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work duties will be divided between an office environment and the production floor. Employee will be required to wear all plant-mandatory PPE when on production floor, including: hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe boots and ear protection.
• Safety is a Top Priority – Employee is responsible not only for his/her safety but also for the safety of peers.
• Production facility is a 24/7 operation, and as such, the role may require occasional extended-hour days to aide in troubleshooting, project implementation and/or training. Plant management works with employees to ensure adequate comp time is provided when the situation arises.
• Production facility is prone to temperature fluctuations according to ambient seasonal changes.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to write, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• This job is subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes, odors or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, extreme heat, vibration and confined spaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to acidic or caustic chemicals. A respirator may be required at times. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud, with hearing protection provided.
Competencies To be successful in this role, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Analytical – synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures
• Attendance/Punctuality – is consistently at work and on time; ensures work. responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time
• Design – generates creative solutions; translates concepts and information into images; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail.
• Problem Solving – identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason and data to justify position in debatable situations to help lead to a common solution.
• Project Management – develops role-specific project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
• Technical Skills – assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
• Interpersonal Skills – focuses on resolving conflict, not placing blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
• Quality Management – looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
• Cost Consciousness – works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue.
• Teamwork – position requires employee to work as a part of multi-functional teams.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan and other benefits.
TAMKO® Building Products, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest independent manufacturers of residential and commercial roofing products (including MetalWorks® Steel Shingles), decking and railing products, waterproofing, cements and coatings. With 70 years in the industry, TAMKO’s success is the direct result of teamwork and enduring relationships with customers, suppliers and employees. Privately owned, TAMKO is committed to producing quality products with superior product support.
Back to top