TAMKO Building Products, Inc. is seeking an Instrumentation Technician at our manufacturing facility in Tuscaloosa, AL. The Instrumentation Technician will perform instrumentation activities pertaining to automation, reliability standards, inspection, preventive maintenance and continuous improvement.
Summary of essential job functions
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Provides support to the electrical maintenance group.
• Designs new plant equipment or modifies existing equipment as directed.
• Programs new plant equipment or modifies existing programs as directed.
• Provides technical information concerning calibration, programming and machine setup.
• Confers with plant personnel to resolve problems.
• Prepares system layouts, detailed drawings and schematics.
• Tests equipment for safety and efficiency.
• Identifies parts needed for electrical maintenance and repair projects, and obtains these parts from the parts room.
• Transports parts and equipment between work projects in progress.
• Uses electrical hand tools, voltage and amperage measuring and recording devices.
• Performs electrical repairs on various types of electrical equipment per SOP’s and PM’s.
• Performs electrical and controls layouts, updates and creates electrical drawings either on paper OR in AutoCad (AutoCad is not a requisite skill), creates and modifies PLC and HMI programs. Selects, installs, configures and calibrates instruments and devices.
• Bends, hangs and runs conduit where needed. Pulls electrical cable and wire in conduit. Transports and stacks conduit and electrical wire as needed.
• Operates various shop equipment such as welding machines, grinders, drill press, vertical mill, saws, lathe, etc.
• Trains operators on new systems and updates LOTO and SOP information.
• Performs other duties as may be assigned by Engineering Manager.
• Performs work on equipment requiring electrical and mechanical skills.
• Performs work on demand by answering radio calls inside the plant area to resolve mechanical and electrical issues.
• Associate’s degree from a two year college or university preferred.
• One to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Ability to accept directions and follow work rules; receptive to constructive criticism.
• Ability to work 12-hour rotating shifts, 7 days a week.
• Rotating shift work.
Physical Requirements/Work environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb and balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places, fumes, airborne particles, extreme cold and heat, risk of electrical shock and confined spaces. A respirator may be required at times.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan, and other benefits.
TAMKO® Building Products, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest independent manufacturers of residential and commercial roofing products (including MetalWorks® Steel Shingles), decking and railing products, waterproofing, cements and coatings. With more than 70 years in the industry, TAMKO’s success is the direct result of teamwork and enduring relationships with customers, suppliers and employees. Privately owned, TAMKO is committed to producing quality products with superior product support.
High School or better.
Associates or better.
Technical/other training or better.
Back to top