Infrastructure Design Engineer
TAMKO Building Products, Inc. is seeking an Infrastructure Design Engineer for the office in Irving, Texas. The Infrastructure Design Engineer will report to the Director of Infrastructure and is responsible for the configuration, installation, and administration of infrastructure components and services including, but not limited to, conduit, data cabling, cabling ladders, termination blocks, electrical cabling (as supportive of IT systems), IDF and MDF closets, data centers, and other general IT infrastructure supportive objects. In addition, the Infrastructure Design Engineer will assist other business areas by contributing to the day-to-day engineering and administrative tasks associated with the business software, hardware, and product systems.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Additional duties may be assigned.
- Establishes professional relationships and effectively communicates with all those involved in the project; maintains accurate and updated status reports and project reviews.
- Informs management of any issue or concern prior to the issue putting the organization at risk.
- Ensures timely completion of assigned projects, within budget, and with complete customer satisfaction.
- Plans and analyzes assigned projects, establishes schedules and project parameters, and sets procedures with field teams and vendors to accomplish system objectives.
- Reviews changes to scope with office team / vendors, and communicates potential schedule impacts to key project stakeholders.
- Aides office team and vendors in the creation / tracking of project change orders (PCO’s).
- Works hand-in-hand with the a project team in developing resource schedules, manpower allocation, all material related tasking’s (BOM generation, receipt, inventory), communicating submittal status, changes in project scope, site-surveys, vendor management, build activities, LB activities, QA, and all other tasks related to the successful completion of the project.
- Prepares project status reports, close out reports, red-line drawings and as-built documentation via web portals ticketing systems and email.
- Facilitates regular meetings with vendors/stakeholders to track all components of the project.
- Plans, schedules and performs site surveys with various groups to identify project requirements.
- Monitors and manages multiple concurrent cabling infrastructure projects.
- Demands high standards of quality workmanship, tracks production, and monitors safety procedures.
- Ensures project cabling infrastructure installations adhere to published time constraints; anticipates, plans, and proactively develops work-around procedures/mitigation strategies to accommodate delays and/or interruptions of work.
- Plans, schedules and performs Quality Assurance (QA) inspections/room validations.
- Supervises and supports vendor teams to include on-boarding, terminating, coordinating access requests, and compliance with client stated security and safety policies and procedures; establishes clear directions, sets objectives on work and results, conducts/participates in weekly meetings, and provides feedback on vendor performance.
- Submits material requests, track deliveries and assign teams to receive and scan equipment to rack locations using web portals and ticketing systems.
- Ensures cabling infrastructure installations of passive and active components are compliant with company policies and standards.
- Assists senior engineers with infrastructure design and engineering initiatives.
- Complete understanding of client connectivity schemes and associated cut sheets.
- Formal review of planned work with Foreman before execution.
- Direct oversight/responsibility for all onsite resources (Resources include staff, tools, equip, and material).
- Receive and screen deliverables to include cut-sheets and test data.
- Travel to off-site offices and locations as required.
- Participate in 3 and 5 year roadmap planning and forecasting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field or 4-8 years’ experience with network design, implementation and support in medium to large data networks and associated infrastructure.
- Minimum 5-8 years of structured cabling design experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience and knowledge of structured cabling infrastructure.
- CAD designer with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in electrical, mechanical and telecommunications and/or low-voltage systems design and drafting.
- Experienced in the use of Autocad 2014 or later version and experience in the use of Revit.
- Ability to interpret engineering, architectural, and construction plans, drawings and specifications, and knowledge of building and mechanical codes is required.
- Ability to setup architectural drawing files, sheet setup, manage architectural and engineering layers, manage toolbars, develop drawing details in 2D and 3D isometric views, etc.
- Ability to program and develop custom toolbars is preferred.
- Provides design production services to support project and technical objectives including drawing development, technical product research, review construction shop drawings, setup secured FTP links.
- Must have experience, knowledge, and skills of computer operating systems, web portal interfaces, and trouble ticketing systems. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, and Outlook and Visio.
- Understanding of test equipment (Power Meter/light source, OTDR, VFL, network analyzer, Copper/Fiber cabling test equipment)
- Experience with fault isolating and troubleshooting cabling within live networks production areas.
- Understanding of Network Architecture, and familiar with major network products.
- Understands future trends of structured cable plants operating in large scale enterprise.
- Must be able to direct vendor teams effectively and efficiently in installation of network equipment and cabling infrastructure.
- Experience working with various networking hardware switches and routers
- Demonstrate a clear knowledge of codes and standards
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or technical procedures. Ability to draft reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers and work groups.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods; must be able to operate a computer and other forms of office technology; must be able to effectively communicate.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan, and other benefits.
Back to top