TAMKO Building Products, Inc. is seeking a Design Engineer at our Engineering and Construction facility. The Design Engineer will collaborate with engineers to develop new designs utilizing latest available technologies. Review existing processes and equipment and incorporate best practices for process improvement and increased efficiency.
Summary of essential job functions
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Research, organize and archive different common equipment configurations across multiple manufacturing facilities.
• Work with engineers and internal customers to specify new equipment or process design requirements.
• Synthesize research and requirements to design and develop new manufacturing equipment and processes into technical plans using Computer Aided Design software.
• Use modeling software to run simulations, models, and FEAs of new and existing designs, processes, and equipment.
• Ensure form, fit, and function of designs. Improve designs through iterative process of simulations, reviews, and collaboration with engineers and internal customers.
• Oversee building of prototypes when required.
• Develop, document, and improve design processes to reduce waste, re-work, and costs while improving quality and customer satisfaction.
• Provide written reports on designs.
• Prepare presentations and brief senior executives on designs when required.
• Perform basic cost analysis concerning designs (material costs, labor estimates, operating costs, etc.)
• Reverse engineer, as required, existing manufacturing equipment and processes.
• Occasionally oversee or collaborate with draftsmen supporting larger design projects.
• Collaborate with outside contractors and suppliers when necessary as part of design work.
• Be the subject matter expert on design software. Assist other engineers and staff with technical questions relating to design software use.
• Perform other tasks as designated by the Engineering Manager of E&C.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with five years of experience, or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with two years of experience, designing machines, equipment, and manufacturing processes in 3D CAD.
• Modeling, finite element analysis and simulation experience is strongly desired.
• Travel up to 25-35%
Job Skills/Competencies Required:
• Team player
• Good oral and written communication
• Excellent time management and organizational skills
• Highly motivated
• Creative thinker (ability to think “outside the box”)
• Multi-tasker; task oriented
• Ability to take concepts from others and translate into clear/functional drawings with minimal direction
• Knowledge of current CAD practices and drawing standards
• Technical curiosity (mechanical aptitude)
• Analytical thinker; mathematical aptitude; detail oriented
• Problem solving/troubleshooting
• Fundamental knowledge of maintaining/archiving documents.
• Advanced knowledge of manufacturing equipment
• Working knowledge construction materials
• Strong CAD Proficiency
• Blueprint proficiency
• Microsoft Suite
Required Training (TAMKO provided as necessary)
• DDI Training: Resolving Conflict
• AutoCAD; AutoCAD Inventor
• Equipment seminars/tradeshows as required
• 30-Hour OSHA Training
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to write, handle and feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
• The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet and occasionally moderate.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan and other benefits.
TAMKO® Building Products, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest independent manufacturers of residential and commercial roofing products (including MetalWorks® Steel Shingles), decking and railing products, waterproofing, cements and coatings. With 70 years in the industry, TAMKO’s success is the direct result of teamwork and enduring relationships with customers, suppliers and employees. Privately owned, TAMKO is committed to producing quality products with superior product support.
Meet Some of TAMKO's Employees
Corporate Director, Supply Chain Management
Rob is responsible for overseeing Tamko’s ever-changing supply-and-demand process. He organizes everything, from purchasing and order entry to incoming and outgoing logistics.
Back to top