TAMKO Building Products, Inc. is seeking a Controls Engineer at our Engineering and Construction facility in Webb City, Missouri. The position will report to the Senior Controls Engineer in the Engineering and Construction (E&C) division of TAMKO. As part of E&C, the Controls Engineer will provide support to all manufacturing locations by optimizing the efficiency and reliability of new and existing web handling production processes with special emphasis on migration of Siemens 505 series PLC’s to Step 7 PLC’s. Optimization skills for Siemens S120 drive systems and Wonderware object oriented HMI development in System Platform is a plus. In addition to the previously mentioned skills, basic troubleshooting and technical support for the above identified platforms are fundamental requirements.
Educational Background and Prior Experience
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent. 2+ years of industry experience with web-handling applications and controls/drives programming.
Job Skills/Competencies Required:
- Team player
- Good oral and written communication
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Highly motivated
- Creative thinker (ability to think “outside the box”)
- Customer service oriented
- Advanced knowledge of web handling production processes
- Fundamental knowledge of manufacturing systems
- Technical curiosity (mechanical aptitude)
- Analytical thinker with problem solving/troubleshooting skills
- Advanced knowledge Siemens Simatic and Simotion drives and controls (emphasis on S120s)
- Working knowledge of other drives/controllers (i.e. Micromaster, Baldor 18h)
- PLC logic development (Primarily Siemens 505 and Step 7 (S7) Series Systems)
- Mechanical/electrical systems
- Schematic proficiency
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Working knowledge of SCADA systems.
- Required Training (TAMKO provided)
- DDI Training: Resolving Conflict
- Siemens refresher courses
- Web handling courses and seminars
- Equipment seminars/tradeshows as required
- 30-Hour OSHA Training
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Stay Safe. Take responsibility for your safety, the safety of your co-workers, and the safety of your designs and projects. Perform all work in a safe manner, report all unsafe conditions, work practices and work related injuries so that corrective action can be promptly initiated.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the Manufacturing Playbook and Playlist. Support and apply the Playbook/Playlist in all areas.
- Tune, synchronize and sequence Siemens drives in web handling applications in support of reliability and automation efforts. Drive systems include S110 and S120 Drive systems, Micromaster, Baldor 18h series, various AC vector and low-voltage systems, DC drives (Joliet, Parker, Siemens, etc.) and others.
- Develop robust support documentation for drive troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Read and troubleshoot machine electrical drawings.
- Configure PLC message instructions and network settings.
- Develop Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), controls narratives and testing protocols for new and existing systems.
- Develop PLC programs and operator interfaces.
- Work with Plant Systems and Reliability Group, manufacturing facilities and other TAMKO organizations to develop enterprise wide hardware, programming and documentation standards for controls and drives systems.
- Mentor and assist with the training of controls specialists, electricians, electrical engineers at E&C, Plant Systems and the manufacturing facilities.
- Work with outside contractors and consultants on specifying equipment, controls, drives and system installs when necessary.
- Maintain awareness of new capabilities and technologies as they relate to controls, drives and web handling. When applicable, lead the implementation and adoption of new technologies.
- Generate business for plant systems by developing and maintaining relationships with key plant personnel and discussing potential projects while on site. Be customer oriented and remain engaged with the customer even after a job is complete.
- Perform other tasks as designated
Physical Requirements/Work Environment The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, high and/or precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, extreme cold and extreme heat and confined spaces. A respirator may be required at times. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
TAMKO® Building Products, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest independent manufacturers of residential and commercial roofing products, decking and railing products, waterproofing, cements and coatings. With 70 years in the industry, TAMKO’s success is the direct result of teamwork and enduring relationships with customers, suppliers and employees. Privately owned, TAMKO is committed to producing quality products with superior product support.
Meet Some of TAMKO's Employees
Director of Builder/Contractor Relations
Alex directs the Sales Team in reaching out to companies specializing in new construction, re-roofing, and repair, discussing with these potential customers how TAMKO products can serve their needs.
Back to top