TAMKO Building Products LLC is seeking a Controls Engineer at our manufacturing facility in Frederick, Maryland. The Controls Engineer will evaluate electrical controls process performance and design integrity as well as conduct improvement projects on multiple roofing manufacturing production lines within the manufacturing facility.
Summary of essential job functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may also be assigned.
- Evaluate and improve current manufacturing systems and improve reliability of electrical, controls systems on machinery which is exposed to abrasive materials.
- Evaluate and improve control loop capability.
- Apply statistical analysis methods to drive data-based decision making practices.
- Assume the role of project manager for installation of improvement projects.
- Write project specifications for vendor bids, including project scope development.
- Provide appropriate project justification and cost-benefit analysis when appropriate for project proposals.
- Lead discussions for tactical improvement of manufacturing production lines.
- Work well with a team of Engineers, Operations, and Maintenance reps to quickly resolve problems to promote production up time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering field from an accredited university (Electrical, Electronic, or Controls Engineering preferred).
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience.
- Servo and Variable Frequency Drives and PLC programming and tuning experience (Siemens preferred).
- HMI programming experience (Wonderware preferred).
- Experience with PID controls and programming.
- Knowledgeable user of AutoCAD Electrical, and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to effectively present and communicate work to plant management, peers, and maintenance/operations personnel.
- Ability to apply principles of mathematics, statistics and engineering to resolve recurring process issues.
- Field service engineering or technician background preferred.
- Operating engineer experience preferred.
- Experience in roofing manufacturing or web process handling preferred.
- Machine Vision or Vision Inspection Systems installation and programming experience preferred.
- NEC knowledge preferred.
- Archestra System Platform preferred.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- This job is subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes, odors and airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, extreme heat, vibration, confined spaces, acidic or caustic chemicals. A respirator may be required at times.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud, with hearing protection provided.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan, and other benefits.
This job description is subject to change at any time.
Meet Some of TAMKO's Employees
Alex H.Director of Builder/Contractor Relations
Alex directs the Sales Team in reaching out to companies specializing in new construction, re-roofing, and repair, discussing with these potential customers how TAMKO products can serve their needs.
Back to top