TAMKO Building Products, Inc. is seeking a Controls Engineer at our High Street facility in Joplin, Missouri. The Controls Engineer will provide support to all TAMKO manufacturing locations by optimizing the efficiency and reliability of new and existing web handling production processes with special emphasis on migration of Siemens 505 series PLC’s to Step 7 PLC’s.
Summary of essential job functions
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the Manufacturing Playbook and Playlist. Support and apply the Playbook/Playlist in all areas.
• Tune, synchronize, and sequence Siemens drives in web handling applications in support of reliability and automation efforts. Drive systems include S110, G120 and S120 Siemens Drive systems, Micromaster, Baldor 18h series, various AC vector and low-voltage systems, DC drives (Joliet, Parker, Siemens, etc.) and others.
• Develop robust support documentation for drive troubleshooting and maintenance.
• Read and troubleshoot machine electrical drawings.
• Configure PLC message instructions and network settings.
• Develop Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), controls narratives, and testing protocols for new and existing systems.
• Develop PLC programs and operator interfaces.
• Work with Plant Systems and Reliability Group, manufacturing facilities, and other TAMKO organizations to develop enterprise wide hardware, programming, and documentation standards for controls and drives systems.
• Mentor and assist with the training of controls specialists, electricians, electrical engineers at TAMKO’s Engineering & Construction division, Plant Systems and the manufacturing facilities.
• Work with outside contractors and consultants on specifying equipment, controls, drives and system installs as necessary.
• Maintain awareness of new capabilities and technologies as they relate to controls, drives and web handling. When applicable, lead the implementation and adoption of new technologies.
• Generate business for plant systems by developing and maintaining relationships with key plant personnel and discussing potential projects while on site. Be customer oriented and remain engaged with the customer even after a job is complete.
• Other duties may be assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
• 2+ years of industry experience with web-handling applications and controls/drives programming
• Advanced knowledge of web handling production processes
• Fundamental knowledge of manufacturing systems
• Analytical thinker with problem solving/troubleshooting skills
• Advanced knowledge of Siemens Simatic and Simotion drives and controls (emphasis on S120s)
• Working knowledge of other drives/controllers (i.e. Micromaster, Baldor 18h)
• PLC logic development (Primarily Siemens 505 and Step 7 (S7) Series Systems)
• Mechanical/electrical systems knowledge
• Schematic proficiency
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD and SCADA systems
• Travel 5-10% of the time
• Complete TAMKO provided training including Siemens refresher courses, web handling seminars, equipment seminars/tradeshows and OSHA training
• Optimization skills for Siemens S120 drive systems and Wonderware object oriented HMI development in System Platform preferred
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this Job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• This job is subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes, odors and airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, extreme heat, vibration and confined spaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to acidic or caustic chemicals. A respirator may be required at times. The noise level in the work environment varies from loud to quiet, with hearing protection provided.
To be successful in this role an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Customer Service - manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
• Oral Communication - speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
• Written Communication - writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
• Teamwork - balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
• Planning/Organizing - prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
• Initiative - volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
• Innovation - displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan, and other benefits.
TAMKO® Building Products, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest independent manufacturers of residential and commercial roofing products (including MetalWorks® Steel Shingles), decking and railing products, waterproofing, cements and coatings. With more than 70 years in the industry, TAMKO’s success is the direct result of teamwork and enduring relationships with customers, suppliers and employees. Privately owned, TAMKO is committed to producing quality products with superior product support.
Meet Some of TAMKO's Employees
Corporate Director, Supply Chain Management
Rob is responsible for overseeing Tamko’s ever-changing supply-and-demand process. He organizes everything, from purchasing and order entry to incoming and outgoing logistics.
Back to top