TAMKO Building Products LLC is seeking a Controls Engineer to work at our corporate office in Joplin, Missouri. The Controls Engineer will provide support to all TAMKO manufacturing locations by optimizing the efficiency and reliability of new and existing web handling production processes with special emphasis on migration of Siemens 505 series PLC’s to Step 7 PLC’s.
Summary of essential job functions
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the Manufacturing Playbook and Playlist. Support and apply the Playbook/Playlist in all areas.
• Tune, synchronize, and sequence Siemens drives in web handling applications in support of reliability and automation efforts. Drive systems include S110, G120 and S120 Siemens Drive systems, Micromaster, Baldor 18h series, various AC vector and low-voltage systems, DC drives (Joliet, Parker, Siemens, etc.) and others.
• Develop robust support documentation for drive troubleshooting and maintenance.
• Read and troubleshoot machine electrical drawings.
• Configure PLC message instructions and network settings.
• Develop Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), controls narratives, and testing protocols for new and existing systems.
• Develop PLC programs and operator interfaces.
• Work with Plant Systems and Reliability Group, manufacturing facilities, and other TAMKO organizations to develop enterprise wide hardware, programming, and documentation standards for controls and drives systems.
• Mentor and assist with the training of controls specialists, electricians, electrical engineers at TAMKO’s Engineering & Construction division, Plant Systems and the manufacturing facilities.
• Work with outside contractors and consultants on specifying equipment, controls, drives and system installs as necessary.
• Maintain awareness of new capabilities and technologies as they relate to controls, drives and web handling. When applicable, lead the implementation and adoption of new technologies.
• Generate business for plant systems by developing and maintaining relationships with key plant personnel and discussing potential projects while on site. Be customer oriented and remain engaged with the customer even after a job is complete.
• Other duties may be assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
• 2+ years of industry experience with web-handling applications and controls/drives programming
• Advanced knowledge of web handling production processes
• Fundamental knowledge of manufacturing systems
• Analytical thinker with problem solving/troubleshooting skills
• Advanced knowledge of Siemens Simatic and Simotion drives and controls (emphasis on S120s)
• Working knowledge of other drives/controllers (i.e. Micromaster, Baldor 18h)
• PLC logic development (Primarily Siemens 505 and Step 7 (S7) Series Systems)
• Mechanical/electrical systems knowledge
• Schematic proficiency
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD and SCADA systems
• Travel up to 25% of the time
• Complete TAMKO provided training including Siemens refresher courses, web handling seminars, equipment seminars/tradeshows and OSHA training
• Optimization skills for Siemens S120 drive systems and Wonderware object oriented HMI development in System Platform preferred
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this Job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• This job is subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes, odors and airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, extreme heat, vibration and confined spaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to acidic or caustic chemicals. A respirator may be required at times. The noise level in the work environment varies from loud to quiet, with hearing protection provided.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan, and other benefits.
Back to top