Computer Aided Design (CAD) / Documentation Technician
TAMKO Building Products, Inc. is seeking a Computer Aided Design (CAD)/Documentation Manager at our High Street facility in Joplin, Missouri. The CAD/Documentation Manager will provide CAD support to project managers and engineers engaged in designing, building and installing manufacturing systems and equipment. In addition, the CAD/Documentation Manager will maintain drawing archives and document/drawing control procedures for the engineering team.
Summary of essential job functions
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Develop detailed design drawings and specifications for mechanical equipment, machinery, structures and controls, using 2D and 3D computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment.
• Layout and draw schematic, orthographic and angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems and machines.
• Coordinate with and consult other workers to design, layout and detail components and systems, and to resolve design and other problems.
• Check dimensions of materials to be used and assign numbers to the materials.
• Review and analyze specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas and related data to assess factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
• Modify and revise designs to correct operating deficiencies and to reduce production problems.
• Position instructions and comments onto drawings.
• Layout, draw and reproduce illustrations for reference manuals and technical publications to describe operation and maintenance of mechanical systems.
• Develop document procedure for drawing requests to ensure all relevant information is provided and understood prior to the start of design.
• Clearly understand design requirements as specified by the project manager. Identify key design issues and communicate back to the project manager for resolution.
• Manage drawing requests and provide accurate timelines for competition based upon project requirements and priorities as defined by the Engineering Manager.
• Develop clear BOM, cut sheets and fabrication drawings for designs. Provide guidance and instruction to fabricators based on the information provided.
• Maintain all drawing documents, component files and design libraries. Develop and adhere to standardized drawing retention/revision procedures for retrieval of documents by authorized personnel. Ensure accessibility by providing documentation and training.
• Organize and control hard copies of drawings, engineering documents and vendor supplied catalogs.
• Develop standardized methods and tolerances for drawings of routine components and a facility layout i.e. rolls, piping, structures, etc.
• Perform other tasks as designated by the Engineering Manager.
• Associate’s Degree in Computer Aided Design, Industrial Design, or some other CAD related field.
• Five years of prior experience in computer aided drafting/design preferred.
• Equivalent education and/or experience may be considered.
• Travel 5-10%
• Knowledge of equipment design.
• Knowledge of construction materials.
• 2D and 3D CAD proficiency (primarily Autodesk Suite).
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Blueprint proficiency.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to write, handle and feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
• The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• This job is subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes, odors or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, extreme heat/cold, vibration and confined spaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to acidic or caustic chemicals. A respirator may be required at times. The noise level in the work environment varies from loud to quiet, with hearing protection provided.
To be successful in this role an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification.
• Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; able to read and interpret written information.
• Mathematical Skills – Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance.
• Reasoning Skills – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
• Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; works well in group problem solving situations.
• Technical Skills – Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
• Teamwork – Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; contributes to building a positive team spirit.
• Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities.
• Quality – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
• Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan and other benefits.
TAMKO® Building Products, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest independent manufacturers of residential and commercial roofing products (including MetalWorks® Steel Shingles), decking and railing products, waterproofing, cements and coatings. With more than 70 years in the industry, TAMKO’s success is the direct result of teamwork and enduring relationships with customers, suppliers and employees. Privately owned, TAMKO is committed to producing quality products with superior product support.
Meet Some of TAMKO's Employees
Six Sigma Black Belt
Rachel is currently undergoing TAMKO’s Six Sigma Black Belt training to implement plant improvement processes. Upon completion of the program, she will move into a management or director role.
Back to top