Asphalt Research Chemist
The Asphalt Research Chemist responsibilities will include identification and application of new/improved materials and processes in support of manufacturing improvements, providing timely and accurate testing, data collection and analysis. The Asphalt Research Chemist will plan, lead and execute research and development activities. The position reports directly to the Technical Director - Research and Technology.
Summary of essential job functions
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Formulate, plan and lead the execution of all aspects of research and development to bring concepts and improvement ideas to manufacturing.
- Develop and implement testing methods and valuation protocols for successful project execution as needed.
- Keep current and adequate documentation of project work; periodically prepare progress reports to update the team on findings.
- Demonstrate independent thinking, attention to detail and self-motivation.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- A Master’s degree in chemistry/physics/engineering or closely related field is preferred for this position. Preferred areas of study or professional experience include asphalt and polymers.
- 5-10 years of work experience
- Able to travel up to 15% of the time
- Experience in raw materials and working knowledge of roofing products preferred, to include knowledge of industry-wide (ASTM, ARMA, TAPPI) standard methods
- Familiarity with AASHTO and ASTM standards as applicable to polymers, asphalt binders and oils
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Six Sigma training with Green Belt or PMP Certification preferred.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
The physical requirements/work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes and airborne particles, toxic and caustic chemicals, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job successfully:
- Analytical - Synthesize complex or diverse information; collect and research data; perform basic statistical analysis; design work flows and procedures.
- Methods Development – Demonstrate knowledge and skill in analytical and physical testing equipment and processes; develop physical and analytical methods for raw material, intermediate and finished product evaluations.
- Quality Management - Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; look for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Problem Solving - Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; provide alternative solutions; work well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management – Lead 3 to 5 projects simultaneously; develop project plans; manage project team activities; lead continuous improvement projects as needed.
- Written Communication - Write clearly and informatively; present numerical data effectively; generate technical assessments, quality assurance reports, white papers and other forms of memorandum.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan, and other benefits.
Meet Some of TAMKO's Employees
Corporate Director, Supply Chain Management
Rob is responsible for overseeing Tamko’s ever-changing supply-and-demand process. He organizes everything, from purchasing and order entry to incoming and outgoing logistics.
Back to top