Security Control Assessor - 0009
Number of Openings 1
Clearance Active Top Secret Required
The SCA is responsible for conducting a comprehensive assessment of the management, operational, and technical security controls employed within or inherited by an Information System (IS) to determine the overall effectiveness of the controls (i.e., the extent to which the controls are implemented correctly, operating as intended, and producing the desired outcome with respect to meeting the security requirements for the system). SCAs also provide an assessment of the severity of weaknesses or deficiencies discovered in the IS and its environment of operation and recommend corrective actions to address identified vulnerabilities. Responsibilities will cover Collateral, SAP and/or SCI activities within the customer's area of responsibility.
The SCA will perform the following responsibilities:
- Perform oversight of the development, implementation and evaluation of information system security program policy; special emphasis placed upon integration of existing SAP network infrastructures
- Perform analysis of network security, based upon the Risk Management Framework (RMF), Joint Special Access Program Implementation Guide (JSIG), DCID 6/3, DITSCAP, and/or DIACAP certification and accreditation/authorization and assessment processes (C&A/A&A); advise customer on Information Technology (IT) C&A/A&A issues
- Perform risk assessments and make recommendations to customers
- Advise the Authorizing Official (AO), Delegated Authorizing Official (DAO), Office of Chief Information Officer (OCIO), and/or Program Security Officer (PSO) on assessment methodologies and processes
- Evaluate certification documentation and provide written recommendations for accreditation to government Program Managers (PMs)
- Periodically review system security to accommodate changes to policy or technology
- Evaluate IT threats and vulnerabilities to determine whether additional safeguards are needed
- Advise the government concerning the impact levels for confidentiality, integrity, and availability for the information on a system
- Ensure that certification is accomplished for each information system (IS)
- Develop, implement, provide guidance, and enforce Automated IS (AIS) security policies and procedures
- Ensure that all Information System Security Officers (ISSOs), network administrators, and other AIS personnel receive the necessary technical and security training to carry out their duties
- Develop, review, endorse, and recommend action by the designated approval authority (DAA) of system certification documentation
- Ensure approved procedures are in place for clearing, purging, declassifying, and releasing system memory, media, and output
- Conduct certification tests that include verification that the features and assurances required for each protection level are functional
- Maintain a repository for all system certification/accreditation documentation and modifications
- Coordinate AIS security inspections, tests, and reviews
- Develop policies and procedures for responding to security incidents, and for investigating and reporting security violations and incidents
- Ensure proper protection or corrective measures have been taken when an incident or vulnerability has been discovered within a system
- Ensure that data ownership and responsibilities are established for each AIS, to include accountability, access rights, and special handling requirements
- Ensure development and implementation of an information security education, training, and awareness program, to include attending, monitoring, and presenting local AIS security training.
- Ensure that security testing and evaluations are completed and documented
- Evaluate threats and vulnerabilities to ascertain whether additional safeguards are needed
- Assess changes in the system, its environment, and operational needs that could affect the accreditation
- Conduct periodic testing of the security posture of the AIS
- Ensure configuration management (CM) for security-relevant AIS software, hardware, and firmware are properly documented.
- At the conclusion of each security assessment activity, prepare the final Security Assessment Report (SAR) containing the results and findings from the assessment
- Evaluate and monitor POA&M activities to ensure proper and timely remediation actions are taken with respect to identified weaknesses and suspense dates for each IS based on findings and recommendations from the SAR
- Ensure that system recovery processes are monitored to ensure that security features and procedures are properly restored
- Ensure all AIS security-related documentation is current and accessible to properly authorized individuals
- Ensure that system security requirements are addressed during all phases of the system life cycle
- Participate in self-inspections; identify security discrepancies and report security incidents
- Coordinate all technical security issues outside of area of expertise or responsibility with System Security Engineering
- Provide expert research and analysis in support of expanding programs and area of responsibility
- Perform file transfers between local systems to storage devices
- Other duties as assigned.
Top Secret Security Clearance (depending on position) and
- Eligibility for access to Special Access Program (SAP) Information and/or eligibility for Special Compartmented Information (SCI)
- Willingness to submit to a Counterintelligence (CI) polygraph
- have a Periodic Reinvestigation no older than five (5) years
- Must possess Information Assurance Technician/Information Assurance Manager (IAT/IAM) Level II at date of hire and
- Must possess IAT/IAM Level III within 6 months of date of hire hire
Years of Experience/Education Requirements
- Bachelors degree in a related discipline or equivalent experience strongly preferred
- 7-9 years related experience (9 years minimum, if no degree)
- Minimum of four (4) years' experience in SAP and/or SCI Security and the implementation of regulations identified in the description of duties.
Required Skills (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Experience with Information Assurance (IA) vulnerability scanning software tools, implementing Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGS), and applying IA Vulnerability Assessment (IAVA) patches
- Experience creating and maintaining various security documents such as the Security Control Plan/Vulnerability Security Review (SCP/VSR), System Backup and Recovery Plans (SBRP) and Plan of Action and Milestone (POA&M) tables
- Knowledge of DITSCAP, RMF, DoD C&A processes, DoD 8500 (Cybersecurity) series and Common Criteria
- Experience in JAFAN 6/3 or ICD 503, Joint Special Access Programs Implementation Guide (JSIG) and NISPOM application as related to C&A
- Has experience with IA vulnerability scanning software tools, implementing Security Implementation Guides (STIGS), and applying IAVA patches.
- Has experience creating and maintaining various security documents such as the SCP/VSR, System Backup and Recovery Plans (SBRPs) and Plan of Action and Milestone (POA&M) tables.
- Demonstrated experience in aircraft and international programs
- Ability to constructively engage and resolve challenging situations
- Possess excellent briefing and technical writing skills
- Available to work before/after typical office hours as work may demand
- Independent self-starter, proactive and professional assertive
- Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and computer literacy
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Superior verbal/written skills and presentation skills
- Ability to multitask
About the Organization From our start in 2005, System High has been recognized as the provider of choice for innovative security engineering. Delivering high-end information protection services, over 50% of our security professionals are US Military veterans. Patriotism, commitment to excellence, and successful mission accomplishment permeate our corporate culture. Whether designing or constructing secure facilities (SCIFs), performing IT systems certification and accreditation, establishing regulatory compliant corporate security programs, or producing life-cycle protection planning for complex systems acquisitions, System High has the expertise and tools to facilitate mission success.
EOE Statement We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is currently accepting applications.
Meet Some of System High's Employees
Chief Human Capital Officer
Sarah has been charged by the CEO as being responsible for looking after the personal and professional wellbeing of each and every System High team member.
Back to top