US0076 Sysco Metro New York, LLC
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We’re looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why Sysco is at the heart of food and service.
This Operating Company (OpCo) based position will lead the implementation of prevention-focused health, safety and environmental (HSE) and security program. The position will establish, execute and deliver OpCo-specific strategy that supports Sysco's overall HSE objectives, including security and crisis preparedness objectives.
- In cooperation with Operational management, develop health, safety and environmental (HSE) strategy in support of Corporate HSE and Security strategic goals.
- Develop effective HSE plans designed to meet operational goals to reduce injuries, accidents, and incidents.
- Effectively communicate HSE strategy and objectives with Senior Leadership.
- Support site management in the implementation of HSE plans.
- Design and implement effective metrics to track progress, proactively identify areas of concern and drive accountability.
- Develop and implement training programs to transfer HSE knowledge and core competencies to management and associates.
- Establish and achieve audits to track and identify gaps in the local compliance with Sysco's (HSE) policies and procedures.
- Support creation of health, safety and environmental (HSE) goals for the site management and appropriate activity-based goals for the leadership team, functional managers, and front-line supervisors to drive HSE culture, compliance and results.
- Head a company-wide system to identify and evaluate hazards (risks), and implement effective controls (corrective solutions).
- Lead incident investigation process, including cause analysis and identification of corrective action plans.
- Provide supervisor and management training on root cause analysis.
- Interface with regulatory bodies (OSHA, DOT, EPA, and State/Local Regulators).
- Facilitate the completion of a company-wide annual HSE training plan.
- Develop effective interdepartmental relationships.
- Assist facilities management team in ensuring required regulatory permits are acquired, required reports are submitted to regulatory agencies and any site permit conditions (e.g. recordkeeping, process safety management (PSM), stormwater, special waste, etc.) are met.
- Achieve annual targets for incident frequency, severity and cost reductions.
- Display strong problem solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- Demonstrate professional maturity and ability to act as a change leader.
- Create and facilitate health, safety, and environmental (HSE) engagement through HSE teams and committees needed to accomplish the established targets and annual objectives.
- Drive and promote zero-incident HSE culture throughout the company.
- Support execution of Sysco's Emergency Preparedness Plan procedures and policies.
- Monitor, interpret and communicate regulatory changes to Operating Company (OpCo) management.
- Assist with the development and presentation of Corporate and site-specific training programs as needed.
- Implement early return to work programs.
- Performs management functions of staff selection, development, discipline, performance reviews and/or terminations.
- Interprets trains and consistently enforces Company policies and procedures.
- Maintains associate relations through regular department meetings.
- Maintains on-going interaction and open communication with associates, monitors associate morale, and responds to and implements ideas to improve associate engagement and enablement.
- Bachelor's degree or certifications with equivalent experience.
- 5-7 years of hands-on environmental and safety experience in a warehousing/distribution, manufacturing, or transportation operation.
- Considerable experience with occupational safety, transportation safety, and environmental compliance preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
- Has attained or is working toward certification in safety (CSP).
- Other pertinent safety certifications or designations are desirable as well.
- Must possess a valid Driver's License and provide proof of liability coverage meeting company standards.
- Strong background in safety with a proven record of results.
- Ability to drive a strong safety philosophy and implement constructive behavior changes in transportation safety.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Solid employee relations and interpersonal communication skills.
- Interact effectively with all levels of management, supervision, and employees.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal communication, written communication, and presentation skills.
- Leadership and team-building skills, and able to influence decision-makers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing software, and ability to learn Sysco technology software and programs.
- Effectively using time and resources to accomplish overall initiatives and program goals.
- Able to analyze and independently solve a variety of difficult situations and problems.
- Successfully demonstrate all Leadership Framework competencies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- Frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position will be performed at the assigned operating company facilities.
- Must be able to do limited travel to Sysco facilities or operating companies.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of associates assigned to this job.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and the level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by his or her supervisor.
This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes according to business necessity.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.