US1490 North Star Seafood, LLC
Travel Percentage:Up to 25%
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We’re looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why Sysco is at the heart of food and service.
This is a Senior Leadership Operations position responsible for overseeing and directing daily execution of all aspects of Inbound and Outbound Warehouse; Fleet Services; Facilities Management (including building, grounds, power industrial equipment, sanitation, security), Beverage Services; Transportation (including routing, delivery, and backhaul); Operations Systems and related third party providers. Responsibilities include but are not limited to, achieving performance key metrics; expense and revenue management; strategic execution of local and corporate initiatives; compliance with government regulations; safety and security of the building, its contents and people. Responsible for building and developing the operations management team along with ensuring a culture of engagement, problem-solving and continuous improvement.
The expressed purpose of this role is to prepare the incumbent for future VPO opportunities.
- Responsible for the wholesome, accurate, efficient, fiscally responsible daily work and safety of inbound and outbound warehouse, transportation (Delivery), fleet services, facilities, beverage services departments, and associates.
- Supports the VPO in the development of the annual profit plan with direct input from the management team.
- Oversees budget management including labor, benefits, supplies, company assets, capital investments, depreciation, maintenance and repair, and third party contracts.
- Evaluates fiscal metrics and adjusts activities to meet or exceed performance expectations.
- Coordinates with other departments as necessary to ensure upgrades and repairs are completed efficiently and effectively.
- Performs management functions of staff selection, compensation, development, discipline, performance reviews and/or terminations.
- Strategically adjusts departments’ activities, policies and practices to meet or exceed key performance metrics and customer satisfaction goals.
- Actively supports other departments in the achievement of their goals.
- Coordinates with the Corporate facilities team to analyzes the growth of operating company against facility size to maintain proper storage, receiving, and shipping capabilities for present and future business.
- Champion efficiency ideas, cost reduction measures and assists with the implementation of changes as they pertain to areas of responsibility and total company.
- Identifies problems and proposes solutions to other members of senior management.
- Monitor audits ensuring all required inspections and documentation are completed accurately (including, but not limited to, food safety documentation, DOT records, EPSM, PSM, etc.) and retained to ensure a minimum potential for loss.
- Enforces policies and procedures to drive compliance with all Insurance Pooling requirements; with local, state, federal and provincial regulatory agencies (i.e. OSHA, DOT, FDA, USDA, DOL, CVOR (Canada), etc.); with licensing and log book requirements and with food safety policies, protocols and requirements.
- Monitors the condition and maintenance of the warehouse, fleet services, equipment, software, ammonia refrigeration system, HVAC systems, fire protection, and office by ensuring that all are kept consistent with the safety, security, sanitation and appearance standards set by Sysco in an effort to reduce or eliminate operations related injuries or accidents, damage/loss of product or equipment, and unnecessary costs.
- Ensures contingency systems/practices/protocols are in place to eliminate business disruption.
- Oversees emergency response or crisis management activities.
- Develops and maintains liaisons with local emergency management and other entities in order to facilitate plan development and response effort coordination.
- Assists Safety Manager with training initiatives.
- Drives compliance in the utilization of systems in line with standard operating procedures.
- Collaborates with merchandising, sales management, and marketing associates to resolve any customer or delivery opportunities or issues.
- Visits customer locations and meets with customers to address issues and assess delivery difficulty.
- Provides assistance in the solicitation of new or prospective business by participating in company meetings and presentations when necessary, and in other market area activities to develop and foster the company’s recognition within the business community.
- Where applicable, oversees or participates in the interpretation, adherence, and negotiation of the collective bargaining agreement.
- As necessary, participate in grievance or arbitration proceedings.
- Maintains associate relations through regular department meetings; maintains on-going interaction; keeps open communication channels with associates by answering questions and explaining policies and procedures; monitors associate morale; and implements or responds to ideas to improve associate engagement and enablement.
- Interprets, trains and consistently enforces Company policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, Operations Management or a closely related field required or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- 7 years of Operations management experience with demonstrated progressive levels of management experience
Certifications, Licenses and/or Registrations
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License, provide proof of liability coverage meeting Company standards and complete a Sysco approved the defensive driving program.
- Incident Command System training, or obtains within 12 months
- Ability to read, comprehend, write and speak English.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software, and ability to learn Sysco technology software and programs.
- Must have excellent computer skills.
- Working knowledge of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Working knowledge of environmental regulations/legislation and governing bodies.
- Ability to successfully engage and lead individual and team discussions and meetings.
- Ability to apply all relevant policies in a consistent, timely and objective manner.
- Capable of working with peers and associates from other departments, operating companies, corporate and the business community in a proactive and constructive manner.
- Ability to work in a disciplined manner and capable of following established procedures, practices and comply with local, state and federal regulations.
- Ability to manage the pressures and stress associated with a deadline-oriented atmosphere and customer service issues.
- Demonstrates skill in making independent decisions in support of company policies and procedures in a timely manner.
- Reports to work promptly and regularly; works well with others; demonstrates the ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- To be successful in this position, the individual performing the duties must successfully demonstrate all director-level leadership framework competencies.
- Regularly required to talk or hear.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally exposed to wet, hot, extreme cold and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts and may be required to work in confined spaces.
- The associate works non-traditional business hours including evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and on-call.
- The associate may occasionally be required to travel to other operating companies or the corporate office as business needs dictate (i.e. training, business continuation, etc.).
- The associate is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
- The associate is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must be willing to relocate
· Monday - Friday schedules available
· Competitive pay
· Ongoing job skills training, leadership development training
· Career growth opportunities – we promote from within!
· Paid vacation and holidays
· Comprehensive healthcare benefits
· Generous retirement benefits
· Employee discount programs
· Referral Bonus
· Safety programs
· Service recognitions and employee rewards
· Cross training opportunities
· More benefits, too many to name
What are we doing to keep our employees safe with regards to COVID-19?
· Personal protective equipment and masks provided
· Temperature screenings
· Social distancing guidelines in place
· Sanitizing, disinfecting, and cleaning procedures in place
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.