Staff Module Design/Manufacturing Engineer
The position as Module Design / Manufacturing Engineer entails coordinating R&D efforts to support the development and ramp to manufacturing of new optical and capacitive fingerprint sensor modules through external design and manufacturing partners. A fingerprint sensor module typically consists of a sensor chip in a semiconductor package, attached to flexible circuit board with peripheral components and connectors. Being a visible part in high-end mobile phones and other portable devices, the sensor module is subjected to extensive industrial design requirements. This requires close collaboration with different internal design teams, subcontractors and partners in an international environment, to secure the best possible fingerprint sensor module. As Module Design Engineer you will work with the design of the HW system around the sensor. The scope is broad; PCB design, mechanical design, material stack-up and lamination on top of sensor, lamination to glass, material selection, familiarity with coatings and coating systems etc. Also design for testability and to define specifications and requirements for the module, fall under module engineer's responsibility.
International travel to Synaptics suppliers, partners, and customers may be frequent.
This role requires a bachelors in Science in Engineering, such as in electronics, physics, chemistry, mechanics or the equivalent, as well as occupational experience in similar fields. Special preference will be given to candidates with a Master of Science in Engineering. The successful candidate needs to be fluent in spoken and written English and not opposed to traveling abroad. Fluency in Mandarin is expected. A minimum of 7 years of experience in the area of electronic module design and assembly, semiconductor packaging, Liquid Crystal Display design and fabrication or high volume microelectronics manufacturing is essential.
Success in this role requires:
- Good understanding of common manufacturing methods within Semiconductor industry
- Prior experience with manufacturing partners, preferably in Asia and preferably with focus on LCD modules
- Experience with mobile phone manufacturing processes and manufacturing companies is a plus
- Familiarity with typical equipment used in semiconductor packaging or module assembly required.
- Basic understanding of adhesives and material used in the semiconductor industry (i.e. inks, encapsulants, optically clear adhesives, molding compounds, underfills, glob tops, solder resists etc.)
- Relevant work experience in similar technical fields, e.g. LCD modules, LCD manufacturing, miniaturized modules
- Good skill in communication both internally and with external companies
Preference will be given to those with experience in at least some of the following areas:
- Product development with portable devices
- LCD module development
- Microelectronics packaging development
- Manufacturing processes for the above
- Surface mount technology
- Basic understanding of material properties such as Young's modulus, CTE, fracture toughness etc and interaction of materials that are processed together
- Board level design and supplier coordination
- Microelectronic manufacturing or quality assurance work
- Familiarity and user level competency with CAD tools (i.e. Autocad, Solidworks) and PCB / substrate / flex design tools (i.e. Cadence, PADS)
Synaptics is a global, fast paced and exciting work environment. The successful candidate will be comfortable working across multiple time zones and cultures to enable efficient and successful product development efforts and timely product launches.
Meet Some of Synaptics's Employees
Sr. Algorithm Architect
As Sr. Algorithm Architect, Shubha is responsible for designing algorithms and hardware that enable touch and force sensing for Synaptics’ Clearpad products, used primarily in smartphones.
Back to top