Sr. Staff Acoustic Design Engineer
Synaptics is the pioneer and leader of the human interface revolution, bringing innovative and intuitive user experiences to intelligent devices. Synaptics' broad portfolio of touch, display, biometrics, voice, audio, and multimedia products is built on the company's rich R&D, extensive IP and dependable supply chain capabilities. With solutions designed for mobile, PC, smart home, and automotive industries, Synaptics combines ease of use, functionality and aesthetics to enable products that help make our digital lives more productive, secure and enjoyable. (NASDAQ: SYNA ) www.synaptics.com .
As part of a dynamic team, the Principal Acoustic Application Engineer will be responsible for implementation and optimization of audio/acoustic systems (in a laboratory or real-life setting) and creation of tools and scripts which result in performance improvements, in Synaptics' audio products. The successful candidate would be willing to travel up to 30% of the time.
- Design/implement reference platforms which demonstrate company features.
- Design and implement acoustic/audio tools and test systems (used to characterize Noise Suppression/Cancellation, Echo Cancellation, and various audio processing technologies) which will lead to:
- Complying with regulatory or customer requirements (3GPP, PC/Laptops Lync/Skype, Automotive P.1110/P.1100, etc.).
- Benchmarking of Synaptics' audio features and products.
- Achieving compelling end user experiences, from Synaptics' audio products.
- Develop use cases and test criteria (objective and subjective) which allow company to improve or articulate (in communication to customers) audio features or products.
- Design, test and optimization of acoustic systems and DSP tuning to provide best in class performance.
- Manage multiple customer engagements at any given time.
- Establish/contribute to processes which reduce risks of customer audio/acoustic system integrations and improve efficiencies/effectiveness of existing processes.
- Train Synaptics' AEs and sales teams on demos and best practices with respect to acoustic/audio implementations.
- Draft System requirement documents and Acoustic Integration guidelines.
- Design Verification and troubleshooting in the lab.
- Benchmark and characterize competing solutions.
Skills and Attributes
- Self-motivated and strong commitment to job completion
- Analytical, resourceful, organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work on several projects in parallel is essential.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Team player
- Track record of successfully meeting deadlines
Skills and Qualifications Required
- Over 10 years design experience of audio design in highly integrated portable devices, preferably mobile phones.
- Deep understanding of Acoustic design of headsets and Headphones.
- Acoustic knowledge of receivers, loudspeakers, microphones and headsets.
- Proven Knowledge of the factors that contribute to excellent perceived audio performance.
- Experience with audio/acoustic system integration and optimization.
- Experience tuning audio DSP features.
- Experienced with audio analyzers and test equipment (e.g. Head Acoustics, B&K, Listen SoundCheck, etc.)
- Experience automating audio tests through programming skills in Matlab, C and other scripting languages.
- Familiarity with ANC, Noise suppression, echo cancellation DSP technologies.
- Familiarity with mobile phone testing (3GPP, ITU-T, etc.) standards
- 3Quest/EQuest testing and performance optimization.
- Audio expertise including CODECs, AEC, and noise reduction.
- Acoustic enclosure modeling expertise (microphones and speakers.)
- Acoustic test equipment software development.
- M.Sc preferred
Synaptics is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Meet Some of Synaptics's Employees
Sr. Algorithm Architect
As Sr. Algorithm Architect, Shubha is responsible for designing algorithms and hardware that enable touch and force sensing for Synaptics’ Clearpad products, used primarily in smartphones.
Back to top