Sr. Field Application Engineer, Automotive
Sr. Field Application Engineer, Automotive
Synaptics is the pioneer and leader of the human interface revolution, bringing innovative and intuitive user experiences to intelligent devices. Synaptics' broad portfolio of touch, display, biometrics, voice, audio, and multimedia products is built on the company's rich R&D, extensive IP and dependable supply chain capabilities. With solutions designed for mobile, PC, IoT, and automotive industries, Synaptics combines ease of use, functionality and aesthetics to enable products that help make our digital lives more productive, secure and enjoyable (NASDAQ: SYNA) www.synaptics.com .
Synaptics is seeking a Sr Field Application Engineer located in the Detroit metro area who will be an integral part of our Sales team. At Synaptics, the Sr. FAE will collaborate with local Sales to build strong relationships with Automotive customers to secure designs wins by understanding Synaptics touchscreen/sensing value propositions. This will include support of custom designs via proposals, review of designs and firmware tuning, and assist in troubleshooting of technical issues particularly when the custom touch modules are integrated into the customer device.
The FAE will be an evangelist for new platform related activity. This would involve: learning of the new technology, identifying the best customers in region to be alpha or beta product partners and rolling out the new platform to the region. Technical challenges include understanding of materials such as glass and PET and alternate materials that can be used for capacitive sensor design, understanding FPCB design and manufacturing, design for manufacturability and assembly, and negotiating technical specifications with customers and partners. Other challenges will evolve around the main tool for supporting product development, Design Studio, involving the tuning of firmware for the customer
- Proactively approaches Sales & FAE Management to set the key customers and accounts project strategy.
- Proactively learn new Synaptics technologies and systems utilizing the FAE team, Engineering and independent studies.
- Regularly visit customer project teams to discuss status, areas of concern, and improvement plans. Possible solutions may start independently and/or evolve into a collaboration with other functional teams in or out of region.
- Able to provide system level advice to the FAE members and functional engineers and assist troubleshooting and testing support as needed.
- Account Lead can be local for regional/smaller accounts and global for larger Tier1 accounts.
- Work closely with the Sales Account Manager to understand the automotive strategic plan and objectives and communicate the strategy to the local FAE team and cross regional FAE members as needed.
- Establish rules for communication and information synchronization
- Establish position as account FAE contact window with local customer sites or outside region branches (Europe, Japan, China)
- Lead the local FAE communication with customer and provide updates to other regions
- Be the central person to escalate or manage the escalations to the other cross functional teams and provide detailed schedules to project/program managers
The successful Synaptics Sr. FAE will help manage the customer from a technical perspective but will keep the business aspect in mind. Their approach is to exercise judgment (within broadly defined policies and practices) in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results and have an ability to works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of numerous variables. Synaptics is leading the way in Automotive touch, display, biometrics, voice, and audio so the Sr. FAE will network with key contacts outside their own area of expertise, act independently to determine methods and procedures on new or special assignments, and mentor other engineers to share their knowledge.
The Successful Candidate for this position will have prior experience with:
- Touchscreens (any type of sensing)
- LCD discrete touch
- Hands on lab tuning experience
Preferred skills and experience include:
- Environmental chamber testing (automotive ideal)
- Emissins (EMI)
- Bulk current
- Experience in automotive
- Autmotive Tier 1s
- Big 3 (Frd, GM, Chrysler)
- High speed digital interfaces (any)
- Biometrics, preferably fingerprint or camera
BSEE and 7+ years' experience OR MSEE and 5+ years' experience OR PhD and 3+ years' experience
Synaptics is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to top