Sr. Failure Analysis Engineer
Reporting to the Manager of ASIC Failure Analysis and Reliability, the successful candidate will be responsible for determining rapid root cause analysis for issues that we see in test and in the field. He/she is expected to be an expert in array of failure analysis techniques in consumer electronics, familiar with a variety of materials like plastics and metals, provide advice on strategies to mitigate issues and make a direct impact to cutting edge designs.
This position will work with our ASIC Product Engineering team for ATE support, Silicon design teams for circuit analysis and third party failure analysis laboratories. He/she will be responsible for identifying root-cause failure mechanisms of customer returned device failures using electrical testing and standard failure analysis techniques, and for writing and publishing clear and concise reports, detailing the analysis, for distribution to internal customers.
This position is expected to interact with various regional field personnel – Sales, Field Application Engineers, and Customer Engineers, as well as product development groups such as, System Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, PCB Layout, Test Engineers, F/W Engineering, Driver and System Silicon groups.
Having ongoing and qualification reliability project experience is a big plus.
This position should have hands-on working experience with Failure Analysis cycle:
- Visual inspection and document returned products
- Verify rejected units using electrical and mechanical means
- Troubleshoot failures to component and/or surface level
- Determine root cause of failure
- Trigger Corrective Action Request
- Insure corrective action is implemented properly
- Generate Failure Analysis report for approval and final release
- Support ASIC bench characterization
- Monitor and track quality and reliability testing
- Help implement ISO procedures for vendor qualifications
- Identify root-cause failure mechanisms of field returned device failures
- Interface with outside ASIC FA lab for ASIC de-capsulation, photo-emission, hot-spot analysis, X-ray and SEM photos
BSEE/MSEE with 10+ years of experience in the semiconductor or mobile headset industry with hands-on experience in hardware and firmware development, applications engineering, failure analysis and/or product quality engineering.
- Solid understanding of semiconductor device fundamentals and electrical, electronics, firmware, and system engineering
- Solid knowledge of semiconductor device physics (CMOS, hi-voltage and mixed signal analog/digital)
- Ability to identify semiconductor device failures mechanism
- Strong knowledge on semiconductor reliability activity and theory
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Familiar with HW and SW Development Process
- Board-level electronic circuit design (analog, high-speed digital)
- Knowledge of and experience with semiconductor ATE
- Experience writing and debugging ATE Test code is a big plus
- Experience with electronic bench-test equipment – oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, TDR, BERT, pulse and signal generators, power supplies, DC source/measure
- Strong at statistical data analysis; design of experiments
Self-starting, strong technical aptitude, positive attitude, service-oriented, and excellent communication skills in English and Chinese (both written and verbal) are required. Candidates will be able to troubleshoot and analyze complex problems. Unquestionable integrity, drive to succeed and accomplish team challenges in a dynamic, hardworking, fast-growing and multi-cultures business environment.
Meet Some of Synaptics's Employees
Sr. Algorithm Architect
As Sr. Algorithm Architect, Shubha is responsible for designing algorithms and hardware that enable touch and force sensing for Synaptics’ Clearpad products, used primarily in smartphones.
Back to top