Director of Algorithm & Architecture
- San Jose, CA
Synaptics is the pioneer and leader of the human interface revolution, bringing innovative and intuitive user experiences to intelligent devices. Synaptics' broad portfolio of touch, display, biometrics, voice, audio, and multimedia products is built on the company's rich R&D, extensive IP and dependable supply chain capabilities. With solutions designed for mobile, PC, smart home, and automotive industries, Synaptics combines ease of use, functionality and aesthetics to enable products that help make our digital lives more productive, secure and enjoyable. (NASDAQ: SYNA ) www.synaptics.com .
The primary responsibility for the Director - Algorithms and Architecture is to lead a team of architects focusing on technologies related to the long-term growth of Synaptics' Human Machine Interface and Touch/Display Division. This role will play a critical role in fostering innovation within Synaptics by leading and coordinating teams of highly skilled technical contributors to the successful completion of futuristic and ongoing platform development projects. As such, our candidate needs very strong and diverse engineering and science skills. Thinking outside the box and challenging the conventional wisdom is strongly encouraged!
We are seeking a team-oriented leader/technical visionary with excellent teamwork, problem solving skills, self-driven with a keen technical mind and an eye for detail. He or she must be effective in a fast-paced, highly technical R&D environment. System-level analysis, modeling and design are central to this position. Areas of responsibility include driving the next generation technology roadmap including signal processing algorithms, embedded firmware/software architecture, AI, Neural Networks, etc. The candidate will also be overseeing projects that are often very multi-disciplinary in nature. Projects may involve combinations of disciplines such as electronics, physics, embedded firmware, algorithms, mathematics, materials, optics, and mechanics. Synaptics has experts in all of these areas and so the architect will also have the opportunity to leverage the expertise of others and expand his or her own areas of knowledge.
Our typical leader for this role will have a PhD in EE, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics etc. The leader should have successfully demonstrated capability in leaving teams of architects & engineers in defining technology roadmaps and executing projects that align with the long-term vision of the organization. The role will include interacting with our Tier-1 customers periodically to drive technical-oriented discussions on forward looking roadmaps. Limited travel to Asia is required for this role.
- Engineering/Science Masters' Degree. PhD Preferred.
- Minimum 12 years of relevant experience, plus 5+ years experience in a Senior Manager/Director level responsibilities including team leadership, influencing and motivating co-workers, project definition and guiding team execution. Must effectively communicate and interact with other internal departments as well as senior management.
- Strengths in system theory and electronics, both analog and digital.
- Broad technical experience is essential. Skills in some or all of the following areas are necessary:
- circuit and system design
- embedded firmware algorithms
- analog and digital signal processing
- system-level modeling and simulation
- AI and Neural Networks
- capacitive touch and display technologies is a plus
- Rigorous and methodological approach to problem solving
- Managing remote employees would be a plus
- Hands-on design, bring-up, test and debug skills
- Demonstrated ability to successfully coordinate and drive R&D technology projects
- Effective multi-tasking capability
- Attention to detail
- A strong desire to win in the marketplace
Back to top