A member of the engineering team, assisting in providing high quality engineering deliverables and supporting continuous improvement of engineering practices.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a Development Engineer, you will be responsible for the following:
- Contribute to the design and development of software working in an agile team using industry best practices.
- Contribute to high quality engineering methodology (including ISO 9001 processes) by knowledge sharing and encouraging best practice.
- Master a new small technical area where there is some prior expertise within the company.
- Contribute to the analysis, definition and time estimates of features and projects by contributing in discussions and exploring potential alternative solutions.
- Use a methodical engineering approach to the analysis and diagnosis of technical issues or defects.
- Follow agreed architectural design principles and implement clean components/designs by developing a solid understanding of subsystem architecture.
- Provide solid technical solutions to defined problems by delivering solid and robust components, implemented as guided, and be proactive about spotting and solving issues
- Follow the company's testing methodology and employ a good use of unit and automated tests in all development work.
- Regularly report progress on their own and immediately related tasks to team lead.
- Interact well with different types of people, recognizing others' strengths and weaknesses and encouraging team mates.
- Actively contribute and participate in team meetings.
- Mentor less experienced members of the team by sharing knowledge and expertise as directed.
- Manage time and task priorities under guidance, seeking help early if deadlines will not be met.
- Document, present and review technical information aimed at wider engineering team as required (e.g. via a team demo) - clearly, concisely and appropriately targeted to the audience.
- Under guidance and as needed, communicate effectively with established technical contacts and existing partners to help solve technical issues. Show business and political awareness of what can and cannot be communicated to external contacts.
- Develop an understanding of company strategy, by attending all hands and departmental meetings and asking questions of others to clarify understanding.
- Willingness to occasionally travel for work as requested, with appropriate support.