Senior Embedded Software/Firmware Engineer (SF)
Synapse is seeking bright creative software engineers to join our team in San Francisco. We are looking for people with a passion for class leading products and technology, and who desire to apply their passion in an incredibly fun, fast-paced, and highly-collaborative team environment. You will become an integral member of our embedded software group and our multi-disciplinary team, responsible for design and development of custom, leading edge, embedded device software products. You will make a real difference and have visible impact on success.
A passion for quality software and experience with writing code from high-level embedded applications down to register-level device drivers are essential, and good client interaction skills, leadership ability, and an egoless approach to teamwork are highly valued. A sense of humor is mandatory. Must be able to make and fulfill commitments to your team and clients. Prior experience in doomsday devices for evil geniuses (or defusing them for super heroes) is a plus. Come help design the future as part of a great company, and a team of great people!
Major Job Functions:
- Work as a team member of small, multi-disciplinary teams to create and design software for execution on bare metal microprocessors and mobile/embedded operating systems (such as iOS, ARM Cortex, Embedded Linux, etc.)
- Be a creative element that delivers innovative solutions from concept to production.
- Work with clients to define requirements, develop architectures, and plan sprints.
- Communicate work progress and design details to clients and teams as the SW/FW team member.
- Project activities typically include requirements gathering, developing software architectures, providing inputs to development schedules, and planning sprint goals.
- Conduct/participate in product design reviews to provide technical input on product designs and quality.
- Conduct software unit tests to exercise your implemented functionality.
- Document your software designs.
- Share best practices with other engineers.
- Strong C and C++ programming skills.
- Demonstrated curiosity in engineering and the ability to quickly learn new skills and adapt to project needs.
- Strong interest in embedded systems and software with preference given to those with current experience.
- 6-10 years experience working in software development, with significant periods focused on embedded software development.
- 4 year degree in Engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
- Creative, proactive, and detail-oriented individual with excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- An understanding of Software Engineering best practices.
- Experience with custom board bringup.
- Experience with version and source control methods and systems (e.g. git).
- Ability to read electrical circuit schematics and understand the impact on software operation and design.
- Experience with development on embedded platforms (e.g. MSP430, ARM, x86, Atmel AVR, STM32 etc.) is a plus
- Experience with bare metal systems (no OS) and/or embedded OS (e.g. Embedded Linux, FreeRTOS, etc.) at the application and kernel level is a plus
- Experience in RF technologies (e.g Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.) is a plus.
Meet Some of Synapse's Employees
Vice President, Engineering
Leading the company's engineering efforts, Jeff works with clients to transform their napkin sketch concepts into designs, prototypes, and mass-produced products.
Back to top