Senior Embedded Software/Firmware Engineer
Senior Embedded Software/Firmware Engineer
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of engaged and excellence-focused engineers, project managers, and business operations professionals to collaborate on creative and cutting-edge product development solutions for the world's leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with great coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain active and meaningful lives.
About Synapse's San Francisco Office
Synapse's San Francisco site, which will accommodate the office's planned growth in the years ahead, offers proximity to transit as well as the amenities of the SoMa neighborhood. Here, the growing group of about thirty Synapsters balances focus with fun. Wednesday Lunch provides a catered meal to the entire office, as well as a time for employees to celebrate successes and navigate shared challenges. Thursday Active is the office's opportunity to lift their noses from the grindstone and take part in a range of activities-from bike trips and runs, to museum visits and sporting events, to barbecues and poker tournaments.
Software Engineering at Synapse
Synapse's Software Engineering team helps design cool, innovative products for the consumer and industrial spaces by partnering with a multidisciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, quality assurance, and new product introduction engineers. Whether developing a firmware solution never before brought to market or writing code for a wearable mobile device, Synapse's embedded software and mobile engineers bring an attitude of fun, flexibility, and fearlessness to an ever-changing array of exciting design challenges.
Synapse engineers collaborate directly with clients as well as each other, so they are equally comfortable communicating as they are contemplating. They have the tenacity to see a product through from concept to mass production, and they don't mind changing hats for the good of the project. Synapse engineers are always learning-and teaching: the opportunity to be a listener and a leader exists for engineers at every level. They are willing to understand the client's objectives as well as its organizational environment while delighting in exceeding the customer's expectations. And Synapse engineers approach each other with the eagerness to learn, sense of humor, friendly attitude, and mutual respect that make working at Synapse as enjoyable as it is rewarding.
Major Job Functions
- Work as a team member of small, multi-disciplinary teams to create and design software for execution on bare metal microprocessors and mobile/embedded operating systems (such as iOS, ARM Cortex, Embedded Linux, etc.)
- Be a creative element that delivers innovative solutions from concept to production.
- Work with clients to define requirements, develop architectures, and plan sprints.
- Communicate work progress and design details to clients and teams as the SW/FW team member.
- Project activities typically include requirements gathering, developing software architectures, providing inputs to development schedules, and planning sprint goals.
- Conduct/participate in product design reviews to provide technical feedback on product designs and quality.
- Conduct software unit tests to exercise your implemented functionality.
- Document your software designs.
- Share standard methodologies with colleagues.
- Strong C and C++ programming skills.
- Proven curiosity in engineering and the ability to quickly learn new skills and adapt to project needs.
- Strong interest in embedded systems and software with preference given to those with current experience.
- 6-10 years experience working in software development, with significant periods focused on embedded software development.
- 4 year degree in Engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
- Creative, dedicated, and detail-oriented individual with excellent interpersonal skills.
- An understanding of Software Engineering standard methodologies.
- Experience with custom board bring-up.
- Experience with version and source control methods and systems (e.g. git).
- Ability to read electrical circuit schematics and understand the impact on software operation and design.
- Experience with development on embedded platforms (e.g. MSP430, ARM, x86, Atmel AVR, STM32 etc.) is a plus
- Experience with bare metal systems (no OS) and/or embedded OS (e.g. Embedded Linux, FreeRTOS, etc.) at the application and kernel level is a plus
- Experience in RF technologies (e.g Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.) is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top