RF Systems Engineer
RF Systems Engineer
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of engaged and excellence-focused engineers, project managers, and business operations professionals to collaborate on creative and cutting-edge product development solutions for the world's leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with great coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain active and meaningful lives.
About Synapse's San Francisco Office
Synapse's San Francisco site, which will accommodate the office's planned growth in the years ahead, offers proximity to transit as well as the amenities of the SoMa neighborhood. Here, the growing group of about thirty Synapsters balances focus with fun. Wednesday Lunch provides a catered meal to the entire office, as well as a time for employees to celebrate successes and navigate shared challenges. Thursday Active is the office's opportunity to lift their noses from the grindstone and take part in a range of activities-from bike trips and runs, to museum visits and sporting events, to barbecues and poker tournaments.
RF Engineering at Synapse
Synapse's RF engineering team helps design cool, innovative products for the consumer and industrial spaces by collaborating with a multidisciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, software, test, and manufacturing engineers. Whether prototyping PCBs for a space-constrained embedded device or modeling and building a custom antenna, Synapse's engineers bring an attitude of fun, flexibility, and fearlessness to an ever-changing array of exciting design challenges. The breadth of applications and markets we work in will provide you with variety and the opportunity to expand your horizons.
As an RF systems engineer, you'll be Synapse's expert on the design of systems for wireless communication. You'll work with clients during early product development and technology investigations to understand system requirements. You'll advise clients on how existing wireless technologies and protocols can be used, sometimes in novel ways, to solve problems. You'll be involved with the detailed design of products and work with Synapse's antenna designers and electrical engineers to make products that meet or exceed target specifications. You'll also be involved in detailed product testing and specification of RF testing systems for medium and high volume manufacturing.
- Taking a leading role in preparing the top-down specifications for wireless systems
- Consulting with clients on solutions using off-the-shelf wireless standards and thinking out of the box when no standard meets product requirements
- Explaining RF system level performance and trade space options to clients with varying levels of technical proficiency
- Understanding, creating, and using RF propagation and link budgets
- Staying on the cutting edge of wireless trends
- Working with firmware, EE and RF team members to design RF systems for mass production
- Performing detailed RF design and verification work
- Specifying requirements for manufacturing test systems for wireless products
- Identify relevant RF regulatory and SIG requirements and develop strategies to ensure products meet these requirements.
- 8-plus years of experience in design of RF systems
- Solid understanding of wireless communication protocols such as Bluetooth, BLE, WiFi, LoRa, Microwave Links, GPS, NFC, Mobile (GSM, LTE)
- Solid understanding of communication concepts such as BER/PER, modulation, coding gain, dynamic range, spread spectrum, and de-sensitization
- Experience in the creation, use, and verification of RF link budgets and propagation models
- Experience with product architecture development and product requirements elicitation, including development of custom or semi-custom radio architectures
- Product development experience, including RF design, manufacturing, and testing methods, preferably for high volume products
- Understanding of RF physical layer and link layer issues
- Circuit level RF design experience
- Experience or interest in interfacing directly with clients as a technical leader
- Strong communication skills and a desire to work in small and large multidisciplinary teams
- 4-year degree in RF Engineering or related field; MS or PhD a plus
We strongly encourage you to upload your portfolio in the application section labeled "Other."
The portfolio should exemplify your skills, show projects you have worked on, and highlight any other type of work you've done in the RF engineering field. It should be a presentation of you and your experiences as they relate to the job qualifications.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top