RF Systems Engineer
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of an engaged, energetic, and excellence-focused team of engineers—bolstered by top-notch administrative and operational professionals—to collaborate on creative and cutting-edge product development solutions for the world's leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with great coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain active and meaningful lives.
Synapse's RF engineering team helps design cool, innovative products for the consumer and industrial spaces by partnering with a multidisciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, software, quality assurance, and new product introduction engineers. Whether prototyping PCBs for a space-constrained embedded device or modeling and building a custom antenna, Synapse's electrical and RF engineers bring an attitude of fun, flexibility, and fearlessness to an ever-changing array of exciting design challenges.
As an RF systems engineer, you'll be Synapse's expert on the design of systems for wireless communication. You'll work with clients during early product development and technology investigations to understand system requirements. You'll advise clients on how existing wireless technologies and protocols can be used, sometimes in novel ways, to solve problems. You'll be involved with the detailed design of projects and work with Synapse's antenna designers and electrical engineers to make products that meet or exceed target specifications. You'll also be involved in detailed product validation testing and specification of RF testing systems for medium and high volume manufacturing.
Your job responsibilities will include:
- Consulting with clients on solutions using off-the-shelf wireless standards and thinking out of the box when no standard meets product requirements
- Explaining RF system level performance and trade space options to clients with varying levels of technical proficiency
- Understanding, creating, and using RF propagation and link budgets
- Staying on the cutting edge of wireless trends
- Working with FW/EE and RF team members to design scalable RF systems that account for interference and band crowding issues
- Performing detailed RF design work
- Specifying requirements for manufacturing test systems for wireless products
We are looking for people with:
- 4-year degree in RF Engineering or related field; MS or PhD a plus
- 8-plus years of experience in design of RF systems
- Solid understanding of wireless communication protocols such as Bluetooth, BLE, WiFi, LoRa, Microwave Links, GPS, NFC, Mobile (GSM, LTE)
- Solid understanding of and experience in the creation and use of RF link budgets and propagation models throughout the design cycle from first concepts to design validation and production ramp-up
- Experience with product architecture development and product requirements elicitation, including development of custom or semi-custom radio architectures
- Product development experience, including RF design, manufacturing, and testing methods, preferably for high volume products
- Understanding of low level physical layer RF issues and coding
- Circuit level RF design experience
- Experience or interest in interfacing directly with clients as a technical leader
- Experience or interest in low power battery operated systems
- Strong communication skills and a desire to work in small and large multidisciplinary teams
We strongly encourage you to upload your portfolio in the application section labeled "Other."
The portfolio should exemplify your skills, show projects you have worked on, and highlight any other type of work you've done in the RF engineering field. It should be a presentation of you and your experiences as they relate to the job qualifications.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of Synapse's Employees
Vice President, Engineering
Leading the company's engineering efforts, Jeff works with clients to transform their napkin sketch concepts into designs, prototypes, and mass-produced products.
Back to top