Principal IoT Systems Architect
- San Francisco, CA
Principal IoT Systems Architect
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of engaged and excellence-focused engineers, project managers, and business operations professionals to collaborate on creative and cutting-edge product development solutions for the world's leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with great coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain active and meaningful lives.
About Synapse's San Francisco Office
Synapse's San Francisco site, which will accommodate the office's planned growth in the years ahead, offers proximity to transit as well as the amenities of the SoMa neighborhood. Here, the growing group of about thirty Synapsters balances focus with fun. Wednesday Lunch provides a catered meal to the entire office, as well as a time for employees to celebrate successes and navigate shared challenges. Thursday Active is the office's opportunity to lift their noses from the grindstone and take part in a range of activities-from bike trips and hikes, to museum visits and sporting events, to painting and poker tournaments.
Software Engineering At Synapse
Synapse's Software Engineering team designs innovative products for consumer and industrial clients by partnering with a multidisciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, software, quality assurance, and new product introduction engineers. Our teams bring an attitude of fun, flexibility, and fearlessness to an ever-changing array of exciting design challenges.
Synapse engineers collaborate directly with clients as well as each other, so they are equally comfortable communicating as they are contemplating. They have the tenacity to see a product through from concept to mass production, and they don't mind changing hats for the good of the project. Synapse engineers are always learning-and teaching: the opportunity to be a listener and a leader exists for engineers at every level. They are willing to understand the client's objectives as well as its organizational environment while delighting in exceeding the customer's expectations. And Synapse engineers approach each other with the eagerness to learn, sense of humor, friendly attitude, and mutual respect that make working at Synapse as enjoyable as it is rewarding.
- Bring an expertise and passion for designing cloud-based IoT solutions to a wide range of projects.
- Work directly with Synapse's clients-some of the world's leading companies-and our multidisciplinary product development teams to architect connected product ecosystems in a variety of industries like consumer electronics and industrial, medical, and agricultural systems.
- Solve challenges with latency, security, edge computation, and power constraints.
- Responsible for choosing the right cloud platform (or custom infrastructure) and software architecture to best suit a project's requirements, standing up initial prototypes along with product design teams and providing team oversight for full-scale development.
- Collaborate with Synapse's business development and marketing teams to explain our IoT systems engineering capability to potential clients.
- Lead the strategic growth of Synapse's back-end systems architecture capability.
- 8+ years of experience building production-ready server-side systems
- 5+ years of experience developing software on two or more major cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.)
- Working knowledge of major common data streaming and database frameworks
- A great understanding of security considerations in IoT systems design
- A record of success in designing production backend systems as lead architect
- Experience collaborating with customers to define requirements and then translating those requirements into system designs
- Experience working with stakeholders to make solution-space tradeoffs
- Demonstrated proactive attitude with a willingness to find innovative solutions that drive results
- Proven ability to deliver exceptional customer experience in an externally-facing role, including superb writing, verbal communication, and presentation skills
- An interest in the design of IoT hardware: connected devices and resource-constrained embedded systems engineering.
- An understanding of device-to-cloud system tradeoffs, including latency, availability, and power budget factors associated with LTE, Wi-fi, LPWAN, and Bluetooth communications protocols
- Experience with IoT-specific cloud platform components (e.g. AWS IoT)
- Experience with data analytics and/or AI algorithms, and an understanding of system tradeoffs in distributed computation across devices, edge, and cloud
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top