Lead Mobile Software Engineer iOS, Android
Synapse is seeking a creative and dynamic senior mobile software engineer and leader to join our community! We are a people-first company looking for doers who balance producing top quality technical products through excellent customer service while fostering a collaborative, diverse, respectful, and engaged culture.
Our collaborative team is made up of multi-disciplinary engineers, manufacturing experts, and experienced project and business operations leaders. We work with the world's leading companies to develop cutting-edge products, pushing the boundary of possibility and transforming the landscape of technology.
Your passion, flexibility, and commitment to lifelong learning will be greeted with some of the best benefits in the business, including 20 paid personal days a year, paid parental leave, 401K, and outstanding medical, dental, and vision for you and your dependents. We offer flexible work schedules and have an open office environment.
Please read on for more information about your next adventure!
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU A SUCCESS
You will have a significant positive impact on the success of projects and our teams, on the timely delivery of products, and on customer experiences. Here are some of the characteristics that will make you successful.
You are excited about mobile technologies, wearable devices, and the emerging Internet of Things. You are a seasoned Android/iOS developer with deep knowledge of these layered platforms (e.g., Android NDK as well as Java/JDI). Your experience in building applications for these and other mobile platforms is broad and rich. You consistently produce efficient, high-quality code that your colleagues find exemplary.
You have a passion to solve challenging software problems and an appreciation of the variety of projects Synapse offers. You are self-directed and can set the right directions for others. You are capable of juggling priorities across one to two projects at a time.
You are eager to lead projects and teams, and your leadership skills allow you to guide other software engineers to ensure we meet our clients' goals in a schedule-driven environment. You are egoless and effective in team and client interactions. You understand team dynamics and promote effective teamwork to achieve the right outcomes for both clients and Synapse.
You thrive on getting stuff done and having extraordinary fun! You balance a productive work life by taking advantage of our twice weekly group runs, in-house Nerf target practice, table tennis, hoverboarding, scootering, the occasional all-hands basketball games, ad hoc miniature golf, and a host of colleague-inspired activities in and around San Francisco: movie nights, bowling, beer/wine/spirits tastings, camping, go kart racing, night tour of Alcatraz, etc.
You will be an active part of multi-disciplinary teams and will design and tailor mobile frameworks and applications to pair with custom, leading-edge hardware products. Working with embedded software engineers, electrical and mechanical engineers, project managers, and client teams, you will have an identifiable impact on the success of projects and end products.
- As part of the team, meet with prospective customers to establish technical credibility in software development, elicit their business goals, and demonstrate an understanding of those goals
- With ambiguous, incomplete, or conflicting requirements, research solutions and guide the team toward selecting the best path to meet client goals
- Scope client projects, as well as work with other leads to determine schedule and select appropriate engineering resources.
- Design software architectures
- Arrange timely technical reviews, both internal and with clients, and provide actionable feedback
- Validate and adjust task assignments for the team
- Provide technical guidance to other project engineers
- Author, test, and deliver application code as needed
- Troubleshoot and fix mobile frameworks after deployment into the field
- Communicate status, progress, hurdles, and ideas clearly and transparently with teams and clients, as well as soliciting and acting on client feedback
- Coordinate with cross-discipline team members to align client expectations and to achieve project goals
- Work independently on project tasks as well as work as a team member of a larger project team
- Become the "go to" person for mobile software questions and new technologies when scoping new client engagements
- Participate in and contribute to cross-functional technical reviews on other projects than your own
- Promote the adoption of best practices in software development
- Discover and champion ways to improve and streamline our software processes
- Interview prospective team members and help on-board new hires
- Mentor junior engineers
- Participate in brainstorms outside your area of expertise
- Find creative ways to deliver innovative solutions from concept to production
- 10+ years developing software
- 2+ years of developing apps for mobile platforms (iOS, Android)
- 4-year degree in computer science or similar, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated curiosity in engineering and the ability to quickly learn new skills and adapt to project needs
- Ability to produce software architecture and designs for mobile devices and systems
- Proven ability to lead teams and mentor engineers
- Strong programming skills (C/C++, Java)
- Experience interfacing with RESTful services and other backend APIs
- An understanding and appreciation of software engineering best practices
- Creative, proactive, and detail-oriented individual
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Comfortable meeting with outside clients and internal teams to represent your work
- Strong Android programming skills, especially Android NDK experience
- Knowledge of low-level aspects of iOS and concurrent programming (e.g. mutex, condition variables, etc.)
- Familiarity with Bluetooth Low Energy, and either CoreBluetooth on iOS or the Android BLE communication APIs on Android
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of Synapse's Employees
Vice President, Engineering
Leading the company's engineering efforts, Jeff works with clients to transform their napkin sketch concepts into designs, prototypes, and mass-produced products.
Back to top