Director of Business Development - Consumer Sector
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT - CONSUMER SECTOR
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of engaged and excellence-focused engineers, project managers, and business operations professionals to collaborate on creative and cutting-edge product development solutions for the world's leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with great coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain active and meaningful lives.
About Synapse's Seattle Office
Synapse's headquarters in the heart of downtown Seattle maintains many of the hallmarks of the company's start-up roots. The dog-friendly open office environment buzzes with activity, and employees are just as likely to solve problems over the ping-pong table as at the white board. With more than one hundred employees at this work site, Seattle Synapsters maintain the traditions of Wednesday Lunch, a weekly catered meal when the entire office comes together to celebrate successes and navigate shared challenges; Social:30, where Synapsters are welcome to unwind every other Friday afternoon; and a variety of social events in which family and friends are invited to join in on the fun.
Business Development team at Synapse
Synapse's sales team members are critical in helping to direct the company's growth by sourcing and on-boarding new clients, maintaining strategic relationships, and defining strategies to expand the business. They have a deep understanding of technology, product development, and relevant market trends and are passionate about helping their clients realize business transformation through technology, whether they are ambitious startups or Fortune 100 brands.
To develop new business, the Business Development team collaborates with the Marketing and Engineering teams to develop strategies for expanding the business into new or emerging market verticals or within existing accounts. They act as the market experts on the Synapse team and build their external brand by developing and communicating thought leadership to the world that shows target markets how Synapse's technical expertise is relevant to the trends and challenges their businesses are facing.
During the sales process, they collaborate directly with clients and partners as well as the engineering, contracts, and executive teams to ensure Synapse is providing the best solutions possible. During project execution, the Business Development team actively maintain relationships with clients, enabling Synapse to anticipate and respond to needs.
The primary focus for this role will be to develop a pipeline of business in the Consumer sector. This encompasses our B2C clients and includes sub-segments like Food & Beverage, Personal Care, Sports & Fitness, and Consumer Healthcare. This role will be responsible for identifying a sub-segment on which to focus proactive business development efforts, in parallel with other BDs working in the Consumer sector.
In addition to pipeline development, this role will have sales and account management responsibilities, detailed below.
- Pipeline development
- Leverage market expertise and collaborate with Synapse technical teams globally to develop and communicate messages to target markets that demonstrate the relevance of Synapse's expertise to their businesses
- Proactively identify and drive execution of messaging via events, social media, white papers, blog posts, webinars, videos, etc., in close collaboration with the Synapse Marketing team
- Share market insights to guide the technical team's growth strategy and investments into capability development and demonstration projects to showcase our expertise
- Identify companies that are potential clients or referral partners for Synapse and proactively network within these targets
- Maintain a deep and wide understanding of all services that Synapse offers to enable communicating the value of Synapse to prospective clients
- Listen to client needs and assess Synapse's fitness for meeting those needs
- Develop and deliver client pitches and proposal presentations
- Negotiate contracts, including MSAs and SOWs, in collaboration with legal counsel
- Account management
- Work with the technical teams to develop and maintain a strategy for executing projects, ensuring that this strategy is consistent with providing the desired result for the client
- Develop and maintain strong commercial relationships with senior executives in client companies to enable further sales opportunities and ensure alignment with client needs
- Advocate and promote the client's voice within Synapse to optimize team organization, operation, and communication
- Secure permissions to share project accomplishments externally to support pipeline development and sales
- Minimum 7 years' experience working in Business Development in professional services, selling $1M+ engagements preferably in Consumer product and technology development environments
- A strong understanding of the common business drivers among consumer companies
- Experience and interest in building a personal brand through published content and speaking engagements
- A preference for pursuing new business over cultivating existing accounts
- Experience in a fee-for-service engineering or consulting environment
- A deep understanding and passion for the technology and product development industry, including major players, products and service providers
- A strong technical background and excellent understanding of the Product Development & Realization process
- Experience leading negotiation of complex contracts
- A talent for developing and maintaining relationships with C-level stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to maintain several opportunities across different geographies, prioritizing according to the company direction and vision
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top