Systems Performance and High Availability (HA) Engineer
The Systems Engineer will build and support large scale, high throughput, highly resilient systems using open-source and in-house developed service components. The Systems Engineer will be responsible for testing and validating the resiliency of the current system and for driving proposed improvements.
The Systems Engineer will be deeply involved in defining, testing, and validating deployment topologies for these components, with particular focus on achieving and maintaining 99.999% uptime for the Symphony messaging and collaboration platform and related subsystems.
The Systems Engineer will report to the Systems Architect and will be involved with the latter to build consensus across the organization for designs and plans, and will evaluate and select the technologies required to complete those plans. They will work closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the system. This person will also contribute to the definition and implementation of IT policies, procedures, and best practices.
The Systems Engineer is expected to provide ‘hands-on’ experience and leadership in defining and implementing tactical and strategic solutions in the architecture space.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Where applicable, design, develop, and oversee implementation of end-to-end integrated systems, including full ownership of the Symphony enterprise product HA and resilience project.
- Document Symphony’s existing systems architecture and technology portfolio; make recommendations for improvements and/or alternatives.
- Review new and existing systems design projects and procurement or outsourcing plans for compliance with standards and architectural plans. Ensure that in particular software development groups include, from the start, monitoring, HA and operability requirements
- Confer with end-users and department heads to define requirements for complex systems and infrastructure development.
- Model systems processes based on findings through use case scenarios, workflow diagrams, and data models.
- Develop and execute test plans to check infrastructure and systems technical performance. Report on findings and make recommendations for improvement.
- Develop, document, communicate, and enforce a policy for standardizing systems and software as necessary.
Operations and production support
- Be part of on call / on site roster that operate, troubleshoot, and monitor the systems
- Run the problem management process to continuously improve the verified HA of the subsystems, including test systems and production systems
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge & Experience
- The ideal candidate will have a mixed background in Dev, Ops, Architecture and System Engineering
- Hands-on experience with Containerization and implementation of Microservice Architecture
- Hands-on performance testing and/or HA testing and analysis
- Extensive experience in developing strategic systems architecture plans.
- Hands-on experience with business requirements gathering/analysis.
- Proven experience in systems and network design and development.
- Strong understanding of information processing principles and practices.
- Strong knowledge of software evaluation principles and practices.
- Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consultative skills.
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas to all audiences.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Deep knowledge of several of the following domains is expected:
- Coding: Java, Python, Go, C++,...
- Service Discover: ZooKeeper, Consul,...
- App Containers: Tomcat, Jetty, ….
- Messaging: Kafka, MQ, ….
- Caching: Hazelcast, Coherence,..., memcache
- Persistence: Mongo, Hbase, Cassandra,..., mysql
- Public cloud: AWS,...
Formal Education & Certification
- College diploma or University degree in the field of computer science/engineering or information systems and 5 years related work experience.
Established in September 2014 after raising $66 million from 15 of the world’s largest financial institutions, Symphony is a secure, cloud-based workflow platform helping individuals, teams, and organizations of all sizes improve their productivity while maintaining data security and regulatory compliance. Today, Symphony is trusted by a growing list of financial services companies to communicate high-value, time-sensitive information with partners and colleagues across the globe.
In August 2015, the Enterprise Edition launched, making Symphony available to companies that handle and transfer sensitive information in regulated environments. A month later, Symphony launched worldwide, introducing its content partner ecosystem, starting with Dow Jones, McGraw Hill Financial’s S&P Capital IQ and Selerity, with others on their way. Then, in October 2015, the company received an additional injection of over $100 million in funding from both new and existing investors. In other words, Symphony is on the move!
Now we’re looking for top-notch developers and programmers (etc.) to join our team in Palo Alto, CA, New York, NY, London and Hong Kong to help us change the way the world communicates. If you have the skills and savvy to work with a world-class team, and an appetite for game-changing disruption, we definitely want to hear from you.
$100 million in new funding:
- Competitive salary based on experience, skills, and qualifications, bonus, stock options
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- 401(K) Plan
- Life and AD&D coverage
- Short Term and Long Term Disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account benefits
- Uncapped vacation and sick time
- Fully stocked kitchen and catered lunches
- Discounted gym memberships
- Many other fun and exciting benefits and activities!
Symphony appreciates your interest in our company. Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Symphony reserves the right of ownership for all unsolicited resumes submitted for this requisition and is not responsible for any fees associated with unsolicited resumes.
Back to top