Software Engineering Director
Symphony (www.symphony.com) is seeking a hands-on Software Engineering Director to lead our Compliance Development team. Symphony is a secure collaboration platform that provides end to end encryption. The Compliance team is responsible for implementing platform capabilities that allow our customers to ensure compliance with regulatory/legal requirements. This includes content export (the ability to extract all content and events generated on the platform), real-time monitoring and alerting, expression filters, (DLP) data loss protection, and information barriers. Due to the secure nature of the platform, some of these capabilities may need to be deployed to customer premises, so experience with deployment and management of software to the enterprise is valuable.
- As a Director, Engineering Director for the Compliance Team, you'll manage a team of 4-7 engineers responsible for full stack feature development, and work closely with product managers and other key teams in the organization to deliver a web-based, enterprise product used by global clients.
- The ideal candidate will have experience managing the design and development of reliable, scalable and monitor-able software.
- You'll split your time 50/50 between hands-on development and management related duties
- Work with technical leaders on the team to help establish and maintain the technical vision for the product
- Mentor junior team members on software architecture, object oriented design, and test driven development
- Work in a continuous integration environment where you help maintain discipline and enforce the 'do not break the build rule'
- Work with other teams to ensure that their new features fulfill compliance-related requirements
- Manage cross-team dependencies and planning
- Live a culture of quality, and provide hands on guidance to the team on fast feedback loops on development and QA environments
- Work closely with QA to ensure reliable, consistent release quality.
- Manage delivery of feature workflow in collaboration w/product management
- Establish and maintain technical excellence
- Lead technical and architecture reviews for the team
- Establish & maintain continuous integration pipelines and support channels
- Contribute your own code to the code base
- Mentor team members in coding and development skills
- Provide clear & specific goals to the team and communicate performance feedback regularly through regular 1-1 meetings and performance reviews
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 10 to 15 years of professional experience in software development and delivery
- 5 to 10 years of professional software engineering management, managing Java engineers
- 5+ years of professional experience in server-side Java software engineering
- Has managed the design and development of high-availability Enterprise software products
- Experience deploying/operating/running software in Enterprise and Cloud environments
- Exposure to CI/CD workflows
- Ability to work well in an agile environment (Scrums, stand-ups, sprints)
- Technical excellence in Java
- Deep familiarity with design patterns & multi-threaded programming
- Strong understanding of SOA and multi-level architectures (UX, services, messaging)
- Experience with distributed systems, persistence, caching, concurrent programming, NoSQL
- Web Services, Rest, JSON, NoSQL Databases (HBase, Mongo, Hazelcast)
ABOUT SYMPHONY'S TECHNOLOGY STACK:
We selected Apache Kafka, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, MongoDB and HBase due to their superior distributed nature, performance, reliability, and ability to scale to the volume of data generated by the expected workload. We built out the ReSTFUL web services layer in a stateless manner using Apache Tomcat, meaning capacity could be added linearly, by simply adding more boxes behind the load balancer. The client front end was conceived as a web client that could be delivered on any device, any operating system, anywhere in the world. Front end stack: React, Redux, Babel (ES2015 / ES6), Gulp, SASS, Browserify, Karma / Jasmine.
Established in September 2014 after raising $66 million from 15 of the world’s largest financial institutions, Symphony is a secure, cloud-based workflow platform helping individuals, teams, and organizations of all sizes improve their productivity while maintaining data security and regulatory compliance. Today, Symphony is trusted by a growing list of financial services companies to communicate high-value, time-sensitive information with partners and colleagues across the globe.
In August 2015, the Enterprise Edition launched, making Symphony available to companies that handle and transfer sensitive information in regulated environments. A month later, Symphony launched worldwide, introducing its content partner ecosystem, starting with Dow Jones, McGraw Hill Financial’s S&P Capital IQ and Selerity, with others on their way. Then, in October 2015, the company received an additional injection of over $100 million in funding from both new and existing investors. In other words, Symphony is on the move!
Now we’re looking for top-notch developers, programmers and sales engineers (etc.) to join our team in Palo Alto, CA, New York, NY, London and Hong Kong to help us change the way the world communicates. If you have the skills and savvy to work with a world-class team, and an appetite for game-changing disruption, we definitely want to hear from you.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- 401(K) Plan
- Life and AD&D coverage
- Short Term and Long Term Disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account benefits
- Uncapped vacation and sick time
- Fully stocked kitchen and catered lunches
- Discounted gym memberships
- Many other fun and exciting benefits and activities!
- Competitive Base Salary and Incentive (Stock Option) plan / Health/Dental/Vision/401k
Symphony reserves the right of ownership for all unsolicited resumes submitted for this requisition and is not responsible for any fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Symphony appreciates your interest in our company. Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top