Senior Java Server Software Engineer
Symphony.com is growing rapidly and is looking for a Senior server-side Java Software Engineer to join our core backend engineering team.As a Symphony Backend Engineer, you'll be designing and implementing the cloud-based server-side logic for our secure communications platform.
Above and beyond creating features for a cutting edge messaging application, we are continuously leveraging modern cloud infrastructure components such as Google PubSub, Kubernetes, image (docker) based deployments etc.
Using open source technologies such as hbase, kafka, solr etc. our engineers design solutions that enable extreme scaling within the cloud, encryption in transit/at rest, and an ever-evolving list of technical challenges to grapple with.
If this job sounds interesting, we'd love to hear from you!
This position reports to the Director of Engineering and will be in our corporate headquarters in Palo Alto, CA.
- Participate in the development of Symphony's core messaging platform and all related services
- Design, implement and test highly-scalable, multi-tier, distributed, highly concurrent, server-side Java Enterprise software applications and services
- Monitor, measure and improve performance of core backend services
- Remove obstacles and constantly help the team improve quality and production
- Work in, and evolve, a feature-driven Agile SDLC environment
- Create maintainable and scalable features fit for use by demanding enterprise clients
- 8+ years professional experience designing and implementing distributed, scalable, high performance, server side Java applications
- Expert level Java coding experience and experience with SQL databases
- Prior experience working at a Tech startup
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent
- Solid background in fundamentals of computer science and development process
- Experience with open source frameworks and tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast moving and growing environment
DESIRED BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Masterʼs Degree, and Machine learning exposure
- NoSQL databasesExperience deploying server applications on Google Cloud and Amazon Web Service (AWS)Experience with one or more of the following: Google PubSub, Kubernetes, MySQL, Kafka, Solr, Tomcat, HBase and Hadoop, ZooKeeper, Mongo, Camel, communication and messaging applications, security software and solutions, persistence, caching, concurrent programming
SYMPHONY TECHNOLOGY STACK:
- We selected Apache Kafka, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, MongoDB and HBase due to their superior distributed nature, performance, reliability, and ability to scale to the volume of data generated by the expected workload. We built out the ReSTFUL web services layer in a stateless manner using Apache Tomcat, meaning capacity could be added linearly, by simply adding more boxes behind the load balancer. The client front end was conceived as a web client that could be delivered on any device, any operating system, anywhere in the world. Front end stack: React, Redux, Babel (ES2015 / ES6), Gulp, SASS, Browserify, Karma / Jasmine.
Symphony is the cloud-based messaging and collaboration platform that connects markets, organizations and individuals, securely. Powered by an open and growing app ecosystem, and protected with customer-owned encryption keys, Symphony’s communication platform increases workflow productivity while maintaining global regulatory compliance. Already the platform of choice for the financial services industry, Symphony eliminates inefficient workflows to boost productivity in information-driven businesses. Founded in October 2014 and headquartered in Palo Alto, CA, the company has offices in New York, Hong Kong, Singapore and London.
Symphony has raised $170 million from the world’s largest financial institutions and recognized investors such as Bank of America - Merrill Lynch, Citibank, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, BlackRock, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, HSBC, Wells Fargo, UBS, Société Générale as well as Google.
We’re looking for top-notch talent to join our team to help us change the way the world communicates. If you have the skills and savvy to work with a world-class team and an appetite for game-changing disruption, we want to hear from you!
BENEFITS AND PERKS*:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401(K) plan
- Life and AD&D coverage
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account benefits
- Unlimited vacation and sick time
- Fully stocked kitchen and catered or reimbursed lunches
- Discounted gym memberships
- Many other fun and exciting benefits and activities!
- Competitive salary, Bonus Plan, Equity
Symphony reserves the right of ownership for all unsolicited resumes submitted for this requisition and is not responsible for any fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Symphony appreciates your interest in our company. Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Meet Some of Symphony's Employees
As a UX developer, Matt perfects the surface of the app, collaborating with his cross-functional team as they translate user feedback into code to create a truly enjoyable user experience.
Back to top