Principal / Senior Java Engineer
We’re looking for a highly productive, hands-on Principal or Senior Java Engineer with real world experience designing and deploying micro-services to cloud providers.
In this role you will help us make the transition from a monolithic tomcat deployment to a modern micro-service architecture, including service discovery, multi-tenant, circuit breakers, elastic scaling capabilities, etc.
- You will be key in building the core services of the Symphony collaboration and messaging platform. Projects include:
- Design and implement distributed & highly concurrent Java based enterprise services, including micro services in the core platform
- Work with Product Management and fellow developers to design and implement the next generation of Symphony messaging and user API's
- Act as an application and software architect in your respective domain, provide technical leadership and mentoring for a small team of developers, as well as provide guidance and technical expertise across the organization
- Redesign backend APIs and refactor existing modules to achieve best practice message system performance around messages, notifications and signals, including data model changes where necessary
- Help us a create a software stack that enables clean separation of business logic from plumbing to maximize developer efficiency and transparency
- 10 to 15 years experience designing and implementing high-performance, high-quality, scalable, distributed, multi-tier, server-side Java applications
- 5+ year working with SOA and/or micro service architectures
- Significant experience designing and implementing large-scale, cloud-hosted, enterprise systems in Java
- Deep understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures, and algorithms
- Experience with cloud platform providers such as AWS, Google GCP, MS Azure and/or other cloud providers
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- Experience with Spring, Spring Boot/Cloud, Swagger, Google Protobuf, Google gRPC, NoSQL & SQL databases, Kafka, Solr, Lucene, Tomcat, HBase, Hadoop, ZooKeeper, Mongo or Camel and similar technologies
- Experience in any of the following: security software & encryption, distributed systems, persistence, caching, concurrent programming and AWS / Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
ABOUT SYMPHONY'S TECHNOLOGY STACK:
- We selected Apache Kafka, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, MongoDB and HBase due to their superior distributed nature, performance, reliability, and ability to scale to the volume of data generated by the expected workload. We built out the ReSTFUL web services layer in a stateless manner using Apache Tomcat, meaning capacity could be added linearly, by simply adding more boxes behind the load balancer. The client front end was conceived as a web client that could be delivered on any device, any operating system, anywhere in the world. Front end stack: React, Redux, Babel (ES2015 / ES6), Gulp, SASS, Browserify, Karma / Jasmine.
- Symphony is a secure, cloud-based messaging and workflow platform for teams, workgroups and organizations of all sizes helping to improve their productivity while maintaining data security and regulatory compliance.
Founded in 2014, today Symphony is trusted by a growing list of top financial services companies to communicate high-value, time-sensitive information with partners and colleagues across the globe.
Symphony has raised $170 million from the world’s largest financial institutions and recognized investors such as Bank of America - Merrill Lynch, Citibank, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, BlackRock, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, HSBC, Wells Fargo, UBS, Société Générale and also Google.
We’re looking for top-notch talent to join our team in Palo Alto, New York, London, Hong Kong, and Singapore to help us change the way the world communicates. If you have the skills and savvy to work with a world-class team and an appetite for game-changing disruption, we want to hear from you!
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, 401(K) Plan, Life and AD&D coverage, Short Term and Long Term Disability coverage, Employee Assistance Program, Flexible Spending Account benefits, Uncapped vacation and sick time, Fully stocked kitchen and catered lunches, Discounted gym memberships and many other fun and exciting benefits and activities!
- Competitive Base Salary, bonus, and Incentive (Stock Option) plan
Symphony appreciates your interest in our company. Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Symphony reserves the right of ownership for all unsolicited resumes submitted for this requisition and is not responsible for any fees associated with unsolicited resumes.
Meet Some of Symphony's Employees
Director of Operations
As the Director of Operations for product delivery, Lily works to create an ecosystem at Symphony where everyone, in every department—both internal and external—is getting what they need to succeed.
Back to top