Principal Java Engineer
We’re looking for a highly productive, hands-on Principal Java Engineer with real world experience designing and deploying micro-services to cloud providers. In this role you will help us make the transition from a monolithic tomcat deployment to a modern micro-service architecture, including service discovery, multi-tenant, circuit breakers, elastic scaling capabilities, etc.
- You will be key in building the core services of the Symphony collaboration and messaging platform. Projects include:
- Design and implement distributed & highly concurrent Java based enterprise services, including micro services in the core platform
- Work with Product Management and fellow developers to design and implement the next generation of Symphony messaging and user API's
- Act as an application and software architect in your respective domain, provide technical leadership and mentoring for a small team of developers, as well as provide guidance and technical expertise across the organization
- Redesign backend APIs and refactor existing modules to achieve best practice message system performance around messages, notifications and signals, including data model changes where necessary
- Help us a create a software stack that enables clean separation of business logic from plumbing to maximize developer efficiency and transparency
- 8+ years experience developing server-side Java applications and SOA and/or micro service architectures
- Experience designing and implementing high-quality, large-scale, scalable, multi-tier, cloud-hosted, distributed, enterprise systems in Java
- Deep understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures, and algorithms
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- Experience with Spring, Spring Boot/Cloud, Swagger, Google Protobuf, Google gRPC, NoSQL & SQL databases, Kafka, Solr, Lucene, Tomcat, HBase, Hadoop, ZooKeeper, Mongo or Camel and similar technologies
- Experience in any of the following: security software & encryption, distributed systems, persistence, caching, concurrent programming and AWS / Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
ABOUT SYMPHONY'S TECHNOLOGY STACK:
- We selected Apache Kafka, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, MongoDB and HBase due to their superior distributed nature, performance, reliability, and ability to scale to the volume of data generated by the expected workload. We built out the ReSTFUL web services layer in a stateless manner using Apache Tomcat, meaning capacity could be added linearly, by simply adding more boxes behind the load balancer. The client front end was conceived as a web client that could be delivered on any device, any operating system, anywhere in the world. Front end stack: React, Redux, Babel (ES2015 / ES6), Gulp, SASS, Browserify, Karma / Jasmine.
- Established in September 2014 after raising $66 million from 15 of the world’s largest financial institutions, Symphony is a secure, cloud-based workflow platform helping individuals, teams, and organizations of all sizes improve their productivity while maintaining data security and regulatory compliance. Today, Symphony is trusted by a growing list of financial services companies to communicate high-value, time-sensitive information with partners and colleagues across the globe. In August 2015, the Enterprise Edition launched, making Symphony available to companies that handle and transfer sensitive information in regulated environments. A month later, Symphony launched worldwide, introducing its content partner ecosystem, starting with Dow Jones, McGraw Hill Financial’s S&P Capital IQ and Selerity, with others on their way. Then, in October 2015, the company received an additional injection of over $100 million in funding from both new and existing investors. In other words, Symphony is on the move! Now we’re looking for top-notch developers, programmers and sales engineers (etc.) to join our team in Palo Alto, CA, New York, NY, London and Hong Kong to help us change the way the world communicates. If you have the skills and savvy to work with a world- class team, and an appetite for game-changing disruption, we definitely want to hear from you.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, 401(K) Plan, Life and AD&D coverage, Short Term and Long Term Disability coverage, Employee Assistance Program, Flexible Spending Account benefits, Uncapped vacation and sick time, Fully stocked kitchen and catered lunches, Discounted gym memberships and many other fun and exciting benefits and activities!
- Competitive Base Salary, bonus, and Incentive (Stock Option) plan
Symphony appreciates your interest in our company. Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Symphony reserves the right of ownership for all unsolicited resumes submitted for this requisition and is not responsible for any fees associated with unsolicited resumes.
Meet Some of Symphony's Employees
Front-End Software Engineer
Matt and his team creates every one of Symphony's interaction tools. They work with customers in mind, making sure everything users come across on the company browser is functional and beautiful.
Back to top