Lead Software Engineer
At Symphony, we’re on a mission to help people communicate, collaborate and enjoy their work. Our secure messaging and collaboration platform is changing the way people collaborate for critical business processes. Our customers are a ‘Who’s who’ of the financial sector and are using Symphony as the centerpiece of their digital transformation initiatives.
Symphony is growing! We are building modern, container based, microservices that will be deployed and operated at global scale. Services manage millions of API transactions and API calls from across multiple regions of the world, and provides high-availability and fault tolerant failover between the regions. Our platform is redefining the way secure organizations communicate and make decisions.
We are investing deeply in reliability improvements to support the scale and business criticality of our containerized applications. Operational automation, testing, and performance improvement is critical to the success of everything we are building. This Engineer will be deeply involved in defining, implementing, testing, and validating software components, with particular focus on maintaining high availability and uptime.
You will be responsible for delivering features with a focus on maintainability, security, and scaling. You’ll expand and build your capabilities with REST APIs, web-hooks, and proxies. Understanding customer use cases, validating technical solutions, and building and documenting those solutions are a must.
The role is expected to provide technical leadership of up to 10 people and ‘hands-on’ contributions to accelerate our product into production.
You'll focus on cutting edge applications for users of our Fortune-500 customers. You’ll be solving real world problems related to messaging, rich workflow, data visualization, and real time decisions; all without compromising compliance. Our business is built on providing high-value applications seamlessly integrated with communication tools and processes of enterprises; offering both a level of richness and security never before combined.
- Design, implement and test highly-scalable, multi-tier, distributed, highly concurrent, server-side Java Enterprise software applications and microservices for both Cloud and On-Premise deployed components
- Technical Leadership of up to a team of 10; responsible for task assignments and prioritization of within each sprint
- Write end-to-end automation test cases for the features you are responsible for
- Contribute directly to the development of Symphony’s platform REST APIs
- Code must be clean, simple and maintainable
- Work collaboratively with Product Management, QA, cross-team stakeholders and fellow developers to design and implement the next generation of Symphony messaging and user APIs
- Participate constructively and collaboratively in design and code reviews
- 10+ years experience designing and implementing high-performance, high-quality, horizontally scalable, distributed, multi-tier, server-side Java applications; minimum 3 years at technical lead level, managing co-located or remote teams
- Solid background working with a large code base and large data sets (multi-million records +) to identify problems, and suggest solutions
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field; Expert level Java coding experience
- Proven success improving the performance, scalability, reliability and operational automation of complex, multi-tier systems
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Demonstrable experience addressing performance, availability, scalability, resilience and other issues across the whole stack from applications to operating systems
- Experience designing and implementing micro-service or Service Oriented applications
- Previous hands-on contributions to products living in public clouds including AWS or Google Cloud
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast moving and growing environment
- Contributions to Open-Source
- Experience with AWS queuing systems such as SQS, SNS
- DynamoDB datastore
Symphony offers a secure team collaboration platform that transforms the way users communicate effectively and securely with a single workflow application. Forging a new path in the industry, Symphony is designed to help individuals, teams, and organizations of all sizes improve productivity while meeting complex data security and regulatory compliance needs. Symphony was founded in October 2014 and is headquartered in Palo Alto, CA, with offices in Hong Kong, London, New York, Paris, Singapore, Sophia-Antipolis, Stockholm and Tokyo.
Symphony has raised roughly $460 million from the world’s largest financial institutions and recognized investors such as Bank of America - Merrill Lynch, Barclays, BNP Paribas, Citibank, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, BlackRock, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, HSBC, Wells Fargo, UBS, Société Générale as well as Google.
We’re looking for top-notch talent to join our team to help us change the way the world communicates. If you have the skills and savvy to work with a world-class team and an appetite for game-changing disruption, we want to hear from you!
BENEFITS AND PERKS*:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401(K) plan
- Life and AD&D coverage
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account benefits
- Unlimited vacation and sick time
- Fully stocked kitchen and catered or reimbursed lunches
- Discounted gym memberships
- Many other fun and exciting benefits and activities!
- Competitive salary
- Bonus Plan
*Benefits and Perks vary based on location.
Symphony reserves the right of ownership for all unsolicited resumes submitted for this requisition and is not responsible for any fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Symphony participates in E-Verify.
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the completion of an I-9 form and submission of the appropriate documents for identity and work authorization.
Back to top