Product Designer & Researcher
Who we are:
On average, U.S. students are with substitute teachers for 5% of the typical school year. That means our students have substitute teachers for more than six months of their K-12 school career. The problem? We're suffering from a national shortage of substitute teachers.
Swing Education is focused on tackling the substitute teacher shortage. We make it easy for great schools and quality subs to find each other. We help schools access more subs and offload tedious work (recruiting, screening, payroll, etc.) and we help subs find jobs, gain experience and build their professional network.
Swing Education is a revenue generating, Series B, YC company (through ImagineK12). We're a diverse and inclusive team, based out of San Mateo, CA. We find it easy to get up in the morning and work for teachers, schools, and students.
Who you are:
A Product Designer with research experience, who is passionate about understanding and serving user needs. You are always asking questions about the right problems to solve, and the right approach to solving it. You have a high level of curiosity about users, and this curiosity drives you to uncover meaningful insights. You understand that insights are most valuable when applied and executed well. You are a perpetual learner, committed to personal growth.
This is a great opportunity for a Researcher who wants to gain more experience in Design or a Designer who wants to practice more Research & Strategy.
The good news - our users love our product. But there's still a lot of work to be done, and we truly feel that our product will be our competitive differentiator. That's why Swing is looking for a research savvy Product Designer to join our product design team to create a world class product.
This position reports directly to our Director of Product Design. You will collaborate with Design, Product Management, Data, and Engineering to improve user understanding on both sides of our marketplace. Your time will be split between spearheading our research studies and designing solutions in accordance with our research findings, although the exact split will be determined by team needs and your career goals.
- Conduct user research to generate new insights and test existing hypotheses.
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during each phase of the product.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to translate their curiosities into actionable research questions.
- Work with product and design to apply research findings into actionable, practical solutions that address user problems.
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering to test in-process builds and make recommendations to help improve the product.
- Develop interaction models, user flows, and UI specifications.
- Create low-fidelity wireframes for multiple platforms (web, mobile web and mobile app).
- Prototype interactions for the purpose of user testing.
- Contribute to the development of Swing's design culture, process, and infrastructure.
- Operate in a fast-paced environment that requires creative solutions with minimal resources.
- Experience shipping products.
- Experience and deep interest in qualitative user research.
- Experience applying research insights to design solutions.
- A creative approach to problem solving.
- A scientific approach to usability.
- Comfort with wireframing and prototyping solutions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Motivation to serve users in underserved markets, particularly schools and teachers.
- Commitment to learning, self-improvement, and growth.
- A background in education, or experience working with schools and teachers in some capacity.
- Ability to synthesize and analyze big data sets to uncover user insights.
- UX strategy acumen
- Comfort with visual design
- Medical/dental/vision benefits
- Generous PTO
- Paid holidays
- Family leave
- Stock options
- 401k match
- $3k/year for professional development
- A stocked kitchen and unlimited coffee and boba
- Mission-driven, meaningful work
- Fun, collaborative, balanced culture
Swing Education is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTIQA+ applicants.
Back to top