On average, U.S. students are with substitute teachers for 5% of the typical school year. That means our students have substitute teachers for more than six months of their K-12 school career. The problem? We're suffering from a national shortage of substitute teachers.
Swing Education is focused on tackling the substitute teacher shortage. We make it easy for great schools and quality subs to find each other. We help schools access more subs and offload tedious work (recruiting, screening, payroll, etc.) and we help subs find jobs, gain experience and build their professional network.
Swing Education is a revenue generating, Series B, YC company (through ImagineK12).
We are looking for a front-end engineer to help us focus on the usability, consistency, and visual aesthetics of our product. You will both help build new features and improve existing features with an emphasis on minimizing user confusion. You will help build out front-end infrastructure to maintain development velocity, and will help build reusable components for other engineers to utilize. This is a highly technical role that reports directly to the Chief Technical Officer but also will work closely with our product and design teams.
Please note that we use Clojure as our primary language and Datomic as our primary datastore. No previous Clojure/Datomic experience is required but an interest and willingness to learn is important. The vast majority of your day-to-day work will be in Clojure/Clojurescript.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Product features: Design and implement features in a performant, structured manner on our web (and eventually mobile) platform. Work collaboratively with our product and design teams to prioritize work and help make trade-offs between complexity, correctness, and time to implement. Translate design and product specifications into code, anticipating future potential use cases. This may involve some light server-side/back-end work.
- Front-end Infrastructure: Help design, maintain, and standardize usage of re-usable components. Help other engineers operate more efficiently by building proper abstractions. Help guide and evolve our application-side storage and routing.
- 0-2 years of experience doing front-end engineering work
- Previous experience working with designers or UI/UX background
- BA/BS in Computer Science, or other associated technical field.
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance, communicate and prioritize well.
- Experience in SQL, Datalog or related data query languages
- Strong technical computer science fundamentals
- Previous Clojure, Clojurescript, Datomic, or Lisp-based language experience
- Previous experience building/deploying UI component libraries
- Previous mobile development experience via React Native
- Previous startup or consumer Internet company experience
- Medical/dental benefits
- Generous PTO
- Paid holidays
- Stock options
- 401k match
- Maternity/Paternity leave benefits
- A stocked kitchen and unlimited caffeine
- Mission-driven work
- Fun, collaborative, balanced culture
Swing Education is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ applicants
Back to top