Director of Engineering
Swing Education is the education technology space with an immediate focus on tackling the substitute teacher shortage problem. Our online platform makes it easy for great schools and quality subs to find each other. We help schools access more subs and offload tedious work associated with managing a pool of substitute teachers (recruiting, screening, payroll, etc.). Our network provides subs with a wider range of work opportunities to gain experience and build their professional network.
This position reports to the CTO and is based in San Mateo, CA. Swing is a revenue generating, Series B, Y Combinator company (through ImagineK12). In order to grow efficiently we are looking for engineering leadership to help with hiring, coordination, and to act as a force multiplier.
There is significant freedom with how to accomplish the below responsibilities although it is expected that you will discuss and iterate your plans based on feedback.
- Hire appropriately and effectively. This likely entails working with leadership to determine hiring needs, appropriate job descriptions, leveling, responsibilities, and evaluation criteria for all technical hiring.
- Help the product and engineering planning and development process run smoothly. Assist with process and structure to plan, estimate, and implement product, design and engineering work based on feedback. Prioritize and implement infrastructure to assist with velocity as necessary.
- Help engineers develop and grow. Provide guidance with technical decision making, help with code reviews, and nudge projects in the right direction. Plan out career progression paths and provide regular feedback.
- Manage product operational needs and considerations. Maintain reasonable uptime and avoid issues in the production environment. Plan out and implement future infrastructure-type projects to avoid technical debt and improve performance together with the rest of the product and engineering team. Assist and support other teams in their work as necessary.
- Our primary applications are interactive ClojureScript web applications built on Reagent (which is a ClojureScript wrapper around React).
- Our backend API is written in Clojure and our primary data store is Datomic. All day-to-day development will be in Clojure.
- Please note that previous Clojure experience is not a requirement but is a nice-to-have.
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals
- Previous experience as a technical lead on a project
- Previous experience managing and running a product engineering team
- Previous experience hiring for a diverse variety of technical disciplines
- Track record for becoming a domain expert in both technical and business
- Track record of a pragmatic approach to software development
- Open source experience
- React Native experience
- Previous edtech, startup, or online marketplace experience
- Medical/dental benefits
- Generous PTO
- Paid holidays
- Stock options
- 401k match
- Maternity/Paternity leave benefits
- A stocked kitchen and unlimited caffeine
- Mission-driven work
- Fun, collaborative, balanced culture
Swing Education is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQIA+ applicants
Back to top