Sr. Electrical Engineer
The Electrical Engineer is responsible for reviewing photovoltaic solar system designs for electrical code-compliance. This involves the interconnection of PV systems to existing electrical infrastructure on a high volume of primarily residential solar projects. Additionally, in the design of DC & AC electrical systems, the Electrical Engineer will perform calculations which may include but are not limited to Single & Three Phase System Calculations, Arc Fault Studies, & Electrical Load Calculations.
In addition to day to day design work, the engineer will be part of planning and execution of long term solar strategy regarding code language and product research and development. The Staff Electrical Engineer will create, innovate and improve software and tools to simplify the engineering process within the professional engineering department.
This position requires excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, to work across many departments from sales to installation.
- Review and analyze electric systems for high volume of residential rooftop solar designs.
- Define new process based on proven PV experience to drive increased business efficiencies.
- Proven experience with competitive industry standards.
- Research engineering requirements for potential new PV markets.
- Provide Electrical Engineering support for Site Technicians, Designers, Permit Coordinators, and Installers.
- Provide onsite field inspections and Observations Reports when requested.
- Work with local jurisdictions (AHJs) as needed to eliminate special requirements.
- Special Projects: SOPs, New Product Research, MPU Savings, etc.
- Manage Electrical Engineering subcontractors.
- Project Engineer training & mentorship.
- Design and build software solutions to complex engineering issues.
- Support Product Development Team with innovative solutions.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in residential/commercial PV design required.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university.
- Professional Engineering licensure in multiple states where Sunrun operates.
- Experienced in high volume PV Industry permit/install document review & processing.
- Excellent knowledge of NEC, and State Level Building Codes.
- AutoCAD and drafting experience preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Professional appearance and interaction.
- Strong computer programming skills.
- Ability to operate office equipment including computers and determine accuracy of work.
- Ability to interact and participate in meetings and perform normal office duties.
- Ability to travel to different Sunrun locations as necessary.
Sunrun is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination and harassment of any kind. At Sunrun, we believe that empowering people and valuing their differences will help us create a planet run by the sun. That's why we strive to make solar inclusive. Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion drives our ability to build diverse teams and develop inclusive work environments. We do our best to make sure all people feel respected, supported and connected at work. That includes our support for members and allies of all underrepresented groups through our internal employee networks such as Sunrun Women's Network, Sunrun's Veterans Network ("Liberty"), Women in Tech, and Sunrun's LGBTQ affinity group.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity without consideration of race, color, religion, ethnicity, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender, or any other basis protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Back to top