The Media Manager is at the forefront of educating consumers, regulators, the investment and business communities, and Sunrun employees about Sunrun through media relations and communications campaigns. We are looking for an articulate advocate for clean energy, superb storyteller, and a creative, innovative, strategic brain behind efforts to engage people in the Sunrun narrative -- namely, that Americans have a choice in the way they power their homes and how the United States’ future energy system will work.
You have significant experience in nationwide consumer and corporate media, and thrive on newsroom buzz and chasing a story. You know a good story when you sense it and know how to pursue it until you have crafted a compelling human-centered story. You love to write and have a finely tuned nose for news and proactively leveraging the consumer news agenda.
The position reports directly to the Director of Corporate Communications and works with Sunrun’s executive leadership team. You will work closely and collaboratively with the product and policy teams, as well as the Social Media & Campaigns Manager and Corporate Communications Manager.
- Support efforts to enhance awareness and recognition of Sunrun as America’s leading home solar and energy services company.
- Partner with internal stakeholders, executives and external PR agency to develop and execute integrated consumer communications campaigns and activities.
- Manage day-to-day press office and media inquiries and responses.
- Develop relationships with key mainstream consumer media and proactively pitches stories.
- Create content including writing blogs, press releases, opinion editorials and executive communications.
- Experience in developing integrated campaigns and multi-platform/channel content.
- Assist and lead initiatives touching the executive team, such as (but not limited to) speaking engagements and media interviews. Prepares briefings ahead of engagements.
- Proactively identify consumer communications opportunities, makes recommendations and then executes.
- Take a solutions-oriented approach while organizing and driving the completion of tasks and assignments.
- Operate under a sense of urgency, meeting deadlines, and seeing projects through to completion.
- Develop and fosters collaborative relationships with colleagues in other functions including Policy, Investor Relations, Legal, Customer Experience and Sales.
- Establish and develop Sunrun press kit and fosters a network of trained and effective spokespeople.
- Track, monitor and measure media engagement and impact.
- 5-8 years of experience in public relations or corporate/consumer communications, preferably in an agency or large corporate environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of media landscape – digital, print, online, social – and how to leverage content strategies across channels.
- Understanding of and passion for renewable/clean energy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, including working collaboratively with other teams and functions, and the ability to build trust and gain confidence (particularly with executive leaders)
- Ability to see the big picture and how the details come together to form it
- Proven experience distilling complex ideas, details, and facts into clear and simple messages
- Excellent active listening, questioning and facilitation skills
- Proven ability to plan and prioritize multiple projects and demands by exhibiting strong organizational, problem solving and decision making abilities
- Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, G-Suite not required but helpful.
- Experience using visual design software and other web-based tools is preferred (i.e. Marketo, Jive, WordPress, Salesforce, etc.)
This description indicates the general nature and level of the qualifications and duties required of employees in this job classification, as well as the essential functions a person must be able to perform to do this job. It is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Sunrun Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and make employment decisions on the basis of merit and business need. We hire without consideration to race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender, or any other basis protected by law.
Meet Some of Sunrun's Employees
Director, Regional Operations
Daryl and his team handle the post-sale permitting, scheduling, dispatching, and installation of Sunrun systems for the southwest region of the United States.
Back to top