Category Manager - Indirect Procurement
If change means solving one of the biggest challenges of our time by reinventing the way people power their homes, then we say bring it on. It doesn't hurt that we're reducing carbon emissions, adding new jobs to the economy, and having fun while doing it.
In 2007, Sunrun co-Founders Ed Fenster and Lynn Jurich set out to make home solar mainstream. Upfront cost was a huge barrier to home solar adoption, so they invented the model now known as "solar service." Sunrun allows homeowners to pay for solar power, not the panels. This means Sunrun owns, maintains, and monitors the system while homeowners pay for the electricity it produces.
Each business day, we install $2 million worth of solar and facilitate one solar installation every 10 minutes. Our network of more than 30 leading solar installers employs more than 3,000 people.
Executes and implements effective procurement strategies, from initial identification of
procurement needs for indirect goods and services. Develops short-term and long-term
strategies that align with the Company goals for reducing costs and meeting financial
expectation, while managing vendor relationships.
Responsible for negotiating, coordinating, and assuring that assigned indirect spend
categories and services are purchased at the lowest possible cost. Assesses near-term and
long term plans to establish that supplier priorities are balanced with business needs;
consults with Sr. Management, and other subject matter experts to develop alternative
solutions; advises on options, risks, total cost of ownership, and business impacts.
- Execute strategic sourcing strategies, best practices, and initiatives that support aggressive improvements in supplier quality, total cost effectiveness, enhanced service levels, improved coordination, delivery, pricing, lead-times, payment, risk compliance and other areas as identified.
- Executes assigned category sourcing strategies including development and execution of RFI's and RFP's, documents bid events through correspondence to suppliers utilizing e- commerce strategies including reverse auctions; develops selection criteria and drives the selection of suppliers in collaboration with a cross-functional teams; conducts supplier negotiations and ongoing supplier management.
- Actively seeks ways to streamline business processes; researches and provides information on industry category trends and best practices. Provide procurement input to maximize procurement leverage, optimize project design and minimize project durations and cost.
- Develop negotiation strategies, gain alignment from stakeholders, lead cross-functional, category-based negotiation teams, and implementing appropriate supplier risk analysis. Directly negotiate with suppliers that require a detailed strategic plan and have a direct correlation with companies' operational needs and goals.
- Deep dive current spend information/data to identify sourcing projects for individual subcategories, and develop an overall cost reduction plan. Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of business requirements and category ownership by creating and defending category strategies and decisions with sound analytics. Leads analytic tasks and synthesizes results.
- Monitor supplier performance to ensure that delivery dates and technical and contractual requirements are met. Participate in strategic meetings with suppliers and business leaders to ensure execution of defined strategies. Manages day-to-day on-going category supplier relations and seeks out growth or revision opportunities within supply base. Acts as the internal point of contact for supplier management and complaint resolution; conducts regular supplier meetings and implements improvement strategies with suppliers. Creates, nurtures, and enhances supplier relationships.
- Aggressively manages category performance by adhering to internal Savings goals and reviewing financial models for commodity type items. Ensure spend portfolio for reoccurring managed spend is balanced through coordinated sourcing waves and leveraged with project sourcing activities.
- Drive consolidation of spend and seek out synergies across Business Units where applicable, by forming and leading cross-functional strategic sourcing teams to develop and implement category/commodity strategies and to drive cost from individual spend sub- categories. Champions weekly assigned category review meetings with cross-functional teams to manage category performance.
- Self-motivated and directed within an individual contributor role.
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 5 years of procurement/catalog experience OR High School equivalent and 8 years of experience in procurement/catalog.
- Knowledge of the procurement lifecycle and professional procurement best practices.
- Experience in supplier negotiations and developing/executing sourcing strategies.
- Experience collaborating with internal and external resources.
- Experience managing, projects and/or cross functional teams.
- Intermediate level skill in google sheets and office suite of products.
- Intermediate level skill in PowerPoint for crisp presentations.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- MBA or other advanced degree.
- At least 1 year of experience in direct or indirect category management
- At least 3 years of experience in negotiating deals.
* Friendly, fun, high-energy work culture
* Medical (including PPO, HMO and HSA options), Dental and Vision coverage
* Stock option grants for New Hires
* Life insurance coverage at no cost to employees
* 401K & Roth retirement account options
* Pre-tax commuter and dependent care benefits
* Robust management training & leadership development programs
* Access to hundreds of discounts through Any Perk
* Lots of free Sunrun swag
* The opportunity to work for a company that's disrupting an industry, and changing the world
This description indicates the general nature and level of the qualifications and duties required of employees in this job classification, as well as the essential functions a person must be able to perform to do this job. It is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Sunrun Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and make employment decisions on the basis of merit and business need. We hire without consideration to race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender, or any other basis protected by law.
Back to top