The Accounting Assistant is responsible for the processing of A/P and A/R with some auxiliary duties as needed. As a member of the finance team, the Accounting Assistant helps ensure that the organization is supportive of the school functions and fiscally sound.
This is a part-time position, with up to 29 hours a week.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with the knowledge, skills and habits they need to lead a fulfilled life? This is the question that guides our mission at Summit Public Schools.
Summit is a leading network of public schools that prepare a diverse student population for success in a four-year college and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. We operate 14 schools serving over 4,500 students in the Bay Area and Washington state. 100% of Summit graduates are college ready and Summit graduates complete college at double the national average.
We need exceptional, diverse, and mission-aligned teachers to join our team to help prepare our students for a fulfilled life. Join us!
What you’ll do:
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Primary: process accounts payable. Maintain vendor files and correspondence with vendors by phone or email. Review contracts, orders and invoices for accuracy based on established policies and procedures
- Secondary: Support other finance team members as needed including: payroll reconciliations and support, Summit entity general accounting and month close support
- Prepare deposits of cash and checks for each entity, ensure correct coding in GL.
- Collect all contracts and supporting paperwork including W9s and insurance certificates.
- Prepare, mail and report all 1099 information and Sales/Use Tax Filing on a yearly basis.
- Office manager duties of Finance group including filing, ordering of office supplies.
- Ensure adequacy of documentation of accounting transactions, using procedures defined by internal & external stakeholders
- Apply the financial policies and procedures of the company. Bring inconsistencies and problems to the attention of management
Apply the financial policies and procedures of the company. Bring inconsistencies and problems to the attention of management
Who you are:
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Good team player
- Works independently without much instruction
- Can-do attitude around meeting deadlines and high-volume periods.
- Audit support experience
What you need:
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting preferred but not required
- 1 or more years of Accounting or Bookkeeping, non-profit accounting experience preferred
- This role is based out of Redwood City, CA. We work remotely but physically convene 1-2 days weekly in the Redwood City office. This is a requirement.
What you get:
Summit is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly intertwined with education. We are ALL better when we are able to bring our whole selves to work and honor each other’s voices across identities, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals who are members of historically marginalized communities. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.