Transactional Legal Counsel
Success Academy Charter Schools is a rapidly growing 501(c)(3) organization focused on managing an extensive network of high-performing charter schools. Every day, we work together to build and support a network of schools that provides children with a world-class public education. We currently educate nearly 15,000 students across 46 schools, and advocate across the country to change public policy that prevents so many children from having access to opportunity.
Success Academy is seeking an experienced Transactional Legal Counsel. This individual will draft, review, and negotiate contracts for a sophisticated, growing organization with wide ranging needs for goods and services. The Transactional Legal Counsel will be responsible for assessing and managing organizational risk, ensuring that vendors can be held accountable for high level work product, and supporting the organization’s operations with prompt, sound legal advice. The Transactional Legal Counsel will develop protocols for contract review, approval, and retention, and train other departments on how to negotiate favorable terms for the organization. This individual will also support the larger legal team as needed. The successful candidate will have a strong record of sound business judgment and representing clients in complex commercial transactions under tight timeframes.
Key responsibilities include:
- Promptly review a high volume of contracts to enable critical and widely varied goods and services to be provided to SA’s other departments; focus on provisions with substantive financial or operational impact to avoid unnecessary delay. These may include, but are not limited to, contracts for technology, furniture, educational materials, venues, and consulting, construction, real estate, financial, and other services;
- Advise on critical and timely issues to the organization and train and teach departments how to leverage business relationships and successfully negotiate strong contracts;
- Develop scalable protocols for reviewing, entering into, tracking and managing contacts across the organization; and
- Support the larger Legal Team as needed in all matters of compliance, litigation, research, and reporting across the network departments and 46 schools.
The ideal candidate will have at least 4+ years transactional legal experience, with proven track record of leading on complex transactions and delivering superior results as well as the following skills and experiences:
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple critical projects and deadlines;
- Excellent business judgment and strategic thinking (short-term and long-term);
- Strong project management skills with superior attention to detail;
- Proactive, resourceful, “can do” entrepreneurial approach to recognizing needs, solving novel, complex problems, anticipating issues, and developing solutions; and
- A team player who is results-oriented and self-motivated.
- Cover letter and resume;
- Three references (name, position, company, phone number, e-mail); and
- A writing sample (10 pages or less) (optional).
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Success Academy offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, a generous benefits package, and opportunities for professional growth.
Back to top