Software Developer, Front-End Specialist
At Success Academy, we are redefining what’s possible in public education. Since opening our first school in Harlem in 2006, we have swiftly grown to 41 high-performing schools, from Bed-Stuy to the Bronx, serving approximately 14,000 kids. We are scaling to 100 great schools serving 50,000 children across New York City, bringing transformational change here and across the country. We believe all children, regardless of zip code or family income, deserve the life-changing opportunities that a world-class education brings.
Our Data Science and Software (DSIS) department makes sure our schools, network office and scholars have the software and data needed to provide our students, teachers, and school leaders the support the need. By implementing cutting edge technology, built in-house and from 3rd party vendors, we are able to help the organization scale by streamlining processes and making sure everyone has access to mission-critical information 24/7. In effect, the DSS department's goal is to help everyone at Success work better, more efficiently, and with access to all available sources of information.
We are looking for a Software Developer, Front-End Specialist to join our Data Science and Software Team!
Being part of the Success Academy’s Data Science and Software team means you'll be building real products that will have an immediate effect on our organization and our students. You should be comfortable jumping in the deep end and learning new skills. Joining the team will help bring our software, platforms and your ideas into reality.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Implement the features and user interfaces of Success Academies software platforms
- Architect efficient and reusable front-end systems that drive complex web applications
- Work with Product Designers, Product Managers, and Backend Engineers to deliver amazing user-facing platforms
- Identify and provide solutions for scalability challenges
An ideal candidate will demonstrate competency in the following areas:
- Experience building modern websites and web tools with the Django framework
- Experience building websites with a responsive UI
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience working with UI designers to implement product designs
- Strong troubleshooting and diagnostic skills
- Strong communication and team collaboration skills
- Experience with object-oriented and asynchronous programming
Preferred (but not required) qualifications also include:
- Experience in a fast paced / customer centered agile startup environment
- Previous experience at a software company that focused on video, audio, and document storage and distribution technology
- Experience with scalable cloud deployment environments such as AWS and Rackspace
How we work:
- REST APIs
- Agile, automated tests, continuous integration
- Asynchronous Workflows / Task Queues, such as Celery
- Databases: MySQL, NoSQL such as S3 and Mongo
- Audio & video processing tool kits: ffmpeg
- Search technologies: ElasticSearch, Lucene
- HTML5 / AJAX / jquery / backbone / Django
Just in case you were worried:
- We don’t support IE 6, 7 or 8!!
To join our team, upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
Back to top