At Success Academy, we are redefining what’s possible in public education. Since opening our first school in Harlem in 2006, we have swiftly grown to 46 high-performing schools, from Bed-Stuy to the Bronx, serving approximately 15,000 kids. We are scaling to 100 great schools serving 50,000 children across New York City, bringing transformational change here and across the country. We believe all children, regardless of zip code or family income, deserve the life-changing opportunities that a world-class education brings.
Success Academy seeks a Senior Network Engineer to oversee complex processes that ensure technology resources are distributed, maintained, and effectively utilized across our growing network of schools.
Reporting to the Manager of IT Infrastructure, our Senior Network Engineer is responsible for the quality and reliability of our network at scale. This is a technical role that requires advanced knowledge as well as deep and varied experience with designing, implementing, and maintaining core infrastructure.
Qualified candidates will have 5+ years of experience in each the following:
- Cisco Routing & Switching
- Cisco Enterprise Wireless / Meraki Wireless & Switching
- Cisco Call Manager with Unity
- Cisco ASA with Firepower
- Linux and Microsoft Server Management
- AWS Provisioning & Support
Planning and Teamwork
- Plans and sequences work in a manner consistent with business objectives and due dates.
- Sees and responds to small details while working towards the big picture.
- Manages multiple projects/initiatives, coordinating and communicating with stakeholders.
- Communicates effectively with management and all levels of the customer’s organization to identify needs, evaluate solutions, identify opportunities for improvement and build customer relationships.
- Proven success in the development of customer-centric solutions.
- Knowledge of industry best practices and the ability to understand complex and advanced technical concepts.
- complete multiple projects simultaneously, and in a timely manner.
- Mastery of capacity management tools, process and problem analysis.
- Serve as a point of escalation for network troubleshooting and issue resolution.
- Continuously provide and receive feedback regarding current IT processes to identify areas of improvement.
- Expertise of networking fundamentals including: network topology, OSI model, VLANs, routing, global/local load balancing, etc.
- Expert in multicast, unicast and low latency networks, Protocol Analyzers (Wireshark, OpNet)
- Intimate familiarity with the following vendors: Cisco, Meraki, Aruba, and Dell SonicWALL
- Intimate familiarity with network hardware, including: Firewalls, Routers, WAN Accelerators, Switches and Wireless Access Points
- Demonstrable mastery of networking concepts and protocols including: LAN/WAN, BGP, OSPF, and Wireless, TCP/IP, spanning tree, HSRP, VTP, VPC, BGP, EIGRP.
- Deep working knowledge of IP telephony (installations and deployments over WAN), preferably with Cisco Call Manager & Cisco Unity VoIP systems
- Expertise with Microsoft Hyper-V, and Vmware vSphere virtualization
- Prior experience managing DNS/DHCP/AD Domains
- Familiarity with WAN devices, circuits, cabling, voice communication systems and facilities management
- Working knowledge of operating endpoint management tools (Preferred: JAMF Casper, Meraki Cloud)
- Experience using IT Service Management software (Preferred: Cacti, Zabbix)
- Hands-on knowledge of QoS implementations
- Design, monitor, repair, and improve the network through continuous iteration.
- Monitor latency, bandwidth utilization, and the general condition of the WAN; reporting on problems through the helpdesk, on a real-time basis.
- Utilize tools such as Smarts, Sniffers, NetCool, NASH, Concord, SevOne, and Splunk for improved network support.
- Create event tickets affecting the core network and work within an accelerated SLA time for repair.
- Perform appropriate escalations as needed to Management, and Tier 3 Network team.
- Support post incident restoral work through approved change windows.
- Work closely with the OPS teams to drive and coordinate a planned repair/restore at any school site, and provide updated status of the work.
- Perform a daily set of scripted reach-ability checks and tests across the network globally.
- Interface with Vendors for escalations and improved incident resolution MTTR.
- Identify potential automation opportunities for greater efficiency in operation supports.
- Analyze and provide options to optimize the current network infrastructure.
- Advocate for our schools, providing real-time support and thoughtful solutions with both IT and non-IT initiatives.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or combination of education and extensive related experience in technical support.
- Previous experience supporting 10+ offices/sites in large footprint areas.
- Background in a diverse environment with multiple vendor/customer relationships.
- Must be able to bend, kneel, stretch, crawl and lift or move up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to travel up to 50% in the five NY boroughs.
To join our team, upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.