Program Director of Leadership Training
The mission of Success Academies is to reimagine public education. From the classroom to the halls of government, this means finding profoundly different approaches to how we structure, implement and support schooling. To realize our radical vision, we reconceive every aspect of school design, from writing rigorous new curricula to drawing regularly on the advances in technology, business and social/civic practices that are transforming every sector except education.
Over the past decade, Success Academies has grown faster than any charter network in the nation, building a vibrant network of 47 elementary, middle and high schools. Our 15,500 children – mostly poor and minority – are out-performing students at top city and suburban schools across New York State. With our oldest students in 12th grade, we are fast approaching the irrefutable proof point that zip code does not determine destiny.
Our goals for our second decade are even more ambitious: to grow to 100 schools and to educate 50,000 children across New York City in a uniquely holistic K-12 system. At 100 schools, Success Academies will be one of the larger school districts in the country – on par with Atlanta or Boston – ensuring that the charter sector is large enough in New York that it cannot be turned back. At 100 schools, we will graduate 3,000 scholars each year who are prepared to enter, persist and graduate from college and eventually to lead in business, government and civic realms.
With a rapidly-expanding network of schools and our drive to continuously innovate and improve, Success has launched the Education Institute, to drive the organization-wide training and development strategy for adult learners. The Ed Institute provides a sophisticated digital environment for housing our innovative scholar curriculum, adult e-learning courses, and other training resources — combined with the in-person practice and coaching that is foundational to our approach to adult learning. The Ed Institute will give us the capacity to train thousands of our own educators, as well as to spur innovation and to share our model and best practices with other charter management organizations and districts around the country.
To bring this critically important endeavor to scale, Success seeks to hire a Program Director of Leadership Training to oversee the long-term strategy, design and implementation of management and leadership training, and consulting with executive leaders in support of overall business initiatives. The successful candidate will possess extensive business acumen, have experience utilizing multiple approaches to develop leaders, and be comfortable and confident engaging in discourse with senior leadership.
Reporting to the Managing Director of the Ed Institute, the Program Director will be responsible for the following:
- Design, conceptualize and implement a long-term leadership development strategy that supports the human capital goals and priorities, equips leaders to create conditions for innovative thinking and high performing teams, where employees do their best work.
- Re-imagine how to deliver existing people management training, with the particular goal of dramatically increasing the problem solving and decision-making capacity of all leaders.
- Drive the execution and measure business impact of a new leadership accelerator program, that provides experiential learning opportunities, and builds the knowledge, skills, and leadership behaviors that are needed to prepare emerging leaders to take on greater responsibilities in their schools.
- Bring deep domain knowledge, subject matter expertise and thought leadership to deliver effective training and development programs that are aligned with the organization’s objectives and needs.
- Interface with internal partners, such as School Managers, Talent Management and Human Resource Business Partners to determine strategic competency and learning objectives that are the foundation of program elements such as experiential learning and on-the-job projects, leadership development trainings, coaching, and assessments.
- Contribute to the development of departmental goals and metrics; directly manage a growing team, including setting goals for career and professional growth, and performance management.
- Determine the most effective way to deliver training through a blended model, ensuring learning objectives are met as we scale in a fast-growing organization, and that adult learning principles are consistently applied.
The Program Director should be someone who…
- Is intellectually curious, welcomes opportunities to challenge others’ thinking and readily engages in discourse;
- Exercises influence at all levels, in particular at the executive leadership level;
- Has proven experience digging deep into organizational problems, identifying gaps, being precise about solutions that close those gaps and solve problems;
- Is a thought leader and strategic thinker and designer that prides her/himself on implementing engaging and impactful leadership experiences;
- Synthesizes information, “connects the dots” and plans for the future in ways that inspire others;
- Speaks with authority, possesses strong communication and change management skills;
- Is an expert facilitator who possesses a strong presence and displays high levels of energy and charisma;
- Has experience managing a team and building strong relationships across an organization;
- Has a strong understanding of instructional design and curriculum development methodologies; keeps up with leading edge approaches to leadership development and continuously scours the external landscape for innovative thinking and solutions;
- Balances creativity and innovation with practicality and an eye towards impact;
- Demonstrates a strong sense of ETHOS, defined as Excellence, Team, Humor, Ownership and Scholars – values that those within our organization will readily respect and follow;
- Is a learner; and
- Is committed to education reform.
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth. Interested applicants should submit their application and contact Liesel Anthony, Managing Director - Ed Institute, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top