As the fastest growing, highest-performing charter school network in New York State, Success Academy has reimagined public education. Nationally recognized for achieving outstanding academic results for students from all backgrounds and zip codes, we have created an innovative K-12 school model that is preparing current and future generations of children with the subject mastery and skills to succeed in college and life.
At Success Academy, we make history every single day. Success Academy Charter Schools ranks in the top 1% in math and top 3% in reading among all New York schools. In addition, 100% of all scholars passed the 2014 science exam. We provide an exploration driven Pre-K - 12 curriculum focused on the whole child. Chess, art, and other specialized subjects bring excitement to the school day and foster a lifelong love of learning. Our communities are calling for more, and we are meeting this urgent demand with rapid expansion.
Are you ready to join this movement and make an indelible mark on education reform across New York City?
We are seeking a Middle School Science Teacher who is results-oriented, relentless, and takes a “Beyond Z” approach in every aspect of their role. At Success Academy, you are not a “classroom” teacher, you are a school teacher, and are held accountable for the results and progress of our scholars as a whole, beyond your classroom.
Success Academy has a science program like none other in the country. Beginning in kindergarten, scholars receive hands-on, inquiry-based science five days a week with a dedicated science teacher. Success Academy scientists conduct experiments and discuss observations, data, and results in the same way true scientists do. Our method of science instruction not only ignites a passion for science early in life, but it also provides scholars with the critical thinking skills necessary to tackle any problem.
At Success Academy we incorporate the three main disciplines of science - Life, Physical and Earth - into each year's curriculum. On any given day, a scholar might dissect a squid, program a robot, or conduct scratch tests to identify minerals!
Curriculum & Instruction. Because our curriculum is discussion and inquiry-based, our teachers become expert facilitators able to deliver instruction based on the needs of their students and promote a culture of learning. Our curriculum is aligned to the NYS Elementary and Intermediate Science Core Curriculum and is designed to meet and exceed state standards with an emphasis on critical thinking and discussion. Science teachers engage and challenge scholars in exploration and experimentation five days a week! Our curriculum also allows teachers to utilize and create lessons based on the Next Generation Science Standards.
Data-Driven Approach. To ensure that we provide a high-level of support to our scholars, we are constantly studying and analyzing data in order to develop strategic action plans that drive student results. This involves:
- Building a Culture of Daily Mastery, which includes daily checks for comprehension to ensure student progress from day to day.
- Follow-up Analysis after Network-wide Science Assessments (Quarterly).
- Targeted plans around small group, whole group and other academic and tutoring supports.
Professional Development. Hand in hand with our data-driven approach, we hold ourselves to high standards in terms of collaboration and professional development. At Success Academies, we are “learners” and consider ourselves part of a culture of reflection, feedback, and commitment to excellence. Support includes:
- Weekly leadership-led professional development sessions, training on classroom management and curriculum, sessions devoted to studying student work/data and using it to action plan, etc.
- Frequent school leadership observations followed by targeted feedback and recommendations on how to improve practice for the next day.
- Intense collaboration with fellow science teachers from schools across our network around curriculum and sharing of best practices through modeling, video-sharing lessons, etc.
Resources & Technology. Our school model includes a wide array of support services and resources to create an environment where scholars can learn and thrive. This includes:
- Fully equipped science lab with materials at your fingertips.
- Unparalleled in-classroom libraries stocked with thousands of high-interest titles.
- Educational technology including smartboards in every classroom, and a cell-phone, laptop and video camera for every instructional team member.
- A School Operations team within each school to manage all non-instructional aspects of the school day allowing principals to focus on instruction and teacher development.
School Community. Every Success Academy school is community of parents, teachers, leaders, staff, and scholars. We hold everyone within the school community accountable to the same high level of expectations. Our staff places emphasis on:
- Parent Involvement. We have Parent Councils at every school and require all parents to be an active participant in all Family Academic Events and other school-wide happenings.
- Whole Child Approach. Field Studies for scholars to apply their instruction to real-life experiences.
- Education Reform Movement. Being a part of Success Academy, means being a part of the education reform movement focused on promoting parent choice in support of our scholars.
Our ideal Middle School Science Teacher will have:
- At least 2 years of full-time classroom experience.
- Demonstrated track record of propelling student academic growth and mastery.
- A Master's Degree and teaching certification in the science content area or general science are preferred (Bachelor’s Degree is required).
- Demonstrated interest and passion for science.
- Ensure that joyful, rigorous instruction is delivered to every scholar, every day.
Demonstrated competencies in the following areas are a must: - Behavior & Classroom Management. Ability to enforce 100% engagement in a classroom of scholars at all times. Utilize our network-wide behavior management strategies to set and maintain clear expectations.
- Accountability and Data Driven. Proven record of achievement as evidenced by student work, learning, and data.
- Preparation. Ability to study Success Academy curriculum and NYS Science Core Standards for grade level taught and do the intellectual work needed to deliver instruction at a high level. Every teacher receives at least 2 daily planning preparation periods.
- Self-Reflection. Ability to accept and implement feedback received on an ongoing basis for continuous improvement.
- Stamina. Ability to handle the intensity required to work an extended school day in a very high-performing school environment.
In addition, the following characteristics are required to be successful on this team:
- Dedication to Mission. A genuine interest in finding ways to improve public education and support our schools.
- Deadline and Detail Driven. Ability to think critically about the details of a task at hand and backwards plan in order to meet project timelines to drive real-time progress.
- Flexibility. An individual that is not deterred by a fast-paced environment. Ability to adjust tasks and schedule to changed priorities.
- Team Player. Willingness to work with others and respond constructively to feedback.
- Leadership. Work collaboratively within our “Power of Two” model with a co-teacher to communicate support in the coaching and development of our Assistant/Associate Teachers.
- Beyond Z Attitude. Eagerness to go above and beyond the requirements of the job to be innovative and support the organization. Constant desire to improve one’s practice.
Please upload a cover letter and resume outlining your skills and experience. Your cover letter should explain why you would be an excellent Middle School Science Teacher at Success Academy.
Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.