Middle School Literacy Manager
At Success Academy, we believe that education is for the kids but about the adults. Consequently, we are deeply committed to training adults to get the best outcomes for kids.
Since opening our first Harlem school in 2006, Success Academy Charter Schools has swiftly grown to 41 high-performing schools, serving 14,000 kids from Bed-Stuy to the Bronx. We are scaling to 100 great schools serving 50,000 children across New York City, bringing transformational change here and across the country. We believe all children, regardless of zip code or family income, deserve the life-changing opportunities that a world-class education brings.
In all grades, pre-K through 12, our exploration-driven curriculum focuses on the whole child and includes chess, art, and other specialized subjects that bring excitement to the school day and foster a lifelong love of learning. To achieve exceptional results for children, we hire the best, and the brightest. We value excellence, ethics, and celebrate diversity, and are relentlessly committed to improving ourselves and our work to enhance the lives of our scholars.
We are looking for a Middle School Literacy Manager to join our Literacy team, focusing specifically on our 5th through 8th grade curriculum.
Reporting directly to the Associate Director of Middle School Literacy at Success Academies, s/he will be responsible for:
- Revising and creating Common Core aligned literacy curricular materials, including unit plans and assessments, in response to student achievement data
- Designing high quality, relevant professional development sessions for our leaders and teachers that translate into immediate, measurable improvements to instruction and to student achievement
- Creating systems to ensure leaders and teachers are effectively using data to drive literacy instruction
- Observing and coaching leaders and teachers and following up with valuable written/oral feedback in order to improve leader/teacher practice and improve student outcomes
A candidate must exemplify proficiency in the following areas:
- Proven ability to coach others towards improving their practice
- Firm grasp of curriculum and an unwavering commitment to data-driven instruction
- Experience working in a start-up, fast paced, high-growth, entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly, succinctly and persuasively such that expectations are clear, timelines are delineated, and excellence is defined
- Ability to manage multiple priorities from a variety of sources, organizing and prioritizing effectively to impact areas of greatest need
- Experience organizing and running effective meetings and/or professional development sessions
- Ability to deconstruct complex problems and develop coherent, actionable strategies
Candidates for the position must possess the following personal characteristics:
- A relentless drive for excellence
- Unwavering determination to be better today than you were yesterday
- A sense of humor—a must in the world of education
- Ability to be a good, yet demanding team member—we all need to push for excellence
- A love of learning
- A strong belief that all children can achieve
- A clear passion for education reform
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
Back to top