Success Academy Charter Schools is a rapidly growing 501(c)(3) organization focused on managing an extensive network of high-performing charter schools. Every day, we work together to build and support a network of schools that provides children with a world-class public education. We currently educate nearly 15,000 students across 46 schools, and advocate across the country to change public policy that prevents so many children from having access to opportunity.
Success Academy’s Policy Team works to increase access to great education for all children by pursuing ambitious policy reforms on the city, state, and federal levels, including:
- Developing and executing strategy to accomplish organization-wide policy goals on the city, state, and federal levels; - Drafting and analyzing legislative proposals and language quickly and thoroughly;
- Drafting one-pagers and substantive materials that concising explain policy objectives, including creating high level summaries of complex policy concepts that are easily accessible to elected officials and general members of the public; - Proposing, organizing, and executing policy events in New York and Washington, DC, including overseeing all logistics;
- Developing and managing relationships with federal elected officials and organizations, including scheduling and attending regular meetings, organizing opportunities for collaboration, and managing the organization’s outreach federally;
- Managing external partners as needed, including federal lobbyists;
- Tracking legislation and state and federal regulations and drafting comments as needed;
- Monitoring federal grant opportunities, proposing relevant opportunities for funding, and managing applications as needed; and
- Overseeing and advising on organization-wide compliance with lobbying rules and regulations.
The Policy Team is seeking an experienced Managing Director of Federal Government Relations. This individual will work closely with the Director of Policy and Chief Executive Officer to manage all aspects of federal government relationships for the organization, The successful candidate will have a strong record of accomplishing policy goals, enacting federal strategy, and developing relationships with elected officials and other federal stakeholders. Position can be located in Washington, DC, with some travel to New York office required.
Responsibilities for the Managing Director include:
Leadership, Strategic Planning, and Outcomes Management
- Embody a broad leadership and project management approach;
- Partner closely with Advocacy, the Director of Policy, the CEO, and external lobbyists to establish and execute on a long-term federal government relations strategy to accomplish the organization’s federal outreach goals;
- Partner with Communications and external parties to ensure the organization is at the center of a consistent national narrative;
- Advise CEO and senior leadership in real time on policy strategy and federal climate; Help implement federal strategic and tactical initiatives identified by the CEO;
- Manage and develop relationships with federal elected officials, including developing relationships with administration and agency officials;
- Build a network of federal stakeholders to progress federal education reform goals;Cultivate relationships and manage daily to ensure organization and senior management have most up-to-date information on federal climate;
- Manage external lobbyists and other external partners through outcomes based deliverables;
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 15+ years of professional experience;
- Demonstrated ability relationships with policy stakeholders on the federal level; ideal candidate will have significant existing relationships in the education sector or government;
- Experience independently driving and managing large, complex projects and events;Strong research, writing, problem solving, project management, and analytical abilities;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to manage projects at a high level in a fast-paced environment; and
- An ability to work well under pressure and keep track of multiple projects/deadlines.
- Cover letter and resume;
Qualified candidates may later be asked to provide:
- Post-secondary academic transcript(s);
- Three references (name, position, company, phone number, e-mail); and
- A writing sample (10 pages or less) (optional).
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Success Academy offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, a generous benefits package, and opportunities for professional growth.
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.