We are New York City's top-performing and fastest-growing charter school network, and we are fundamentally reshaping public education. To ensure long-lasting change and a school model that will prepare current and future generations of children from all backgrounds with the subject mastery and skills to succeed in college and life, we have reconceived every aspect of school design, from elementary to high school. We now need a results-driven Legal Counsel to join our Advisory team.
Success Academy Charter Schools, a rapidly growing 501(c)(3) organization focused on managing an extensive network of high-performing charter schools, seeks a Legal Counsel to join its team of dedicated attorneys. Every day, we work together to build and support a network of schools that provides children with a world-class public education. We currently educate nearly 14,000 students across 41 schools, and advocate across the country to change public policy that prevents so many children from having access to opportunity.
This key player will be part of a larger Advisory Team, headed by our Executive Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs, and will support our schools, scholars, and the larger organization in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
The Advisory Team supports and protects the organization and ensures that staff are able to focus on instruction and curriculum by:
- Providing advice and counsel in real time to school and network staff on a wide range of cutting-edge legal issues;
- Conducting legal research and drafting memoranda;
- Drafting, developing, and implementing organizational policies and procedures;
- Preparing and presenting network-wide trainings;
- Drafting and reviewing contracts with vendors, landlords, and other partners;
- Overseeing general corporate and business law matters, including tax, governance, and compliance;
- Submitting new charter and charter renewal applications;
- Handling affirmative and defensive litigation and external audits and investigations; and
- Liaising with Human Resources and advising on employment-related matters.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2-5 years experience preferred, but all outstanding candidates will be considered and compensation will be commensurate with experience;
- A strong interest in education and/or education reform;
- Strong research, writing, problem solving, and analytical abilities;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, good judgment, and an ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment;
- An ability to work well under pressure and keep track of multiple projects/deadlines; and
- A strong academic record.
- Cover letter and resume outlining your candidacy;
- Law school transcript;
- The telephone numbers of three references; and
- A writing sample (10 pages or less).
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Success Academy offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, a generous benefits package, and opportunities for professional growth.
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.