High School Director of College Access and Persistence
As the fastest growing, highest-performing charter school network in New York State, Success Academy has reimagined public education. Nationally recognized for achieving outstanding academic results for students from all backgrounds and zip codes, we have created an innovative K-12 school model that is preparing current and future generations of children with the subject mastery and skills to succeed in college and life. We now need a results-driven High School Director of College Access and Persistence to join our team at the High School of the Liberal Arts.
Is this the right role for you?
- You are an experienced college counselor with a firm commitment to higher education and confidence in our vision for 100% college graduation in 4 years with full financial needs met;
- You are a self-starter, entrepreneurially minded, and passionate about education. You are self-directed and can handle multiple tasks concurrently while maintaining a keen eye for detail and impeccable follow through;
- You are an expert on the college application process, and have a proven track record of cultivating productive relationships with your counterparts at colleges, universities, and secondary schools;
- You have the grit to closely guide scholars to gain acceptance into top colleges and universities;
- You are a strong communicator with experience creating and directing workshops, and coordinating guest lectures in order to help inform scholars, families, and staff of all facets of the college admissions process;
- You have the capacity to manage and inspire driven professionals in your field; and
- You are mission-driven, willing to go above and beyond the job description to ensure that every scholar in Success Academy High School is prepared to meet the demands of a highly competitive college admissions process.
- Foster a collaborative and driven culture focused on 100% college access and persistence within your school community, including your College Access and Persistence team, school Leadership team, school staff and faculty, families and Scholars;
- Oversee school-level systems pertaining to all aspects of the college search and admissions process as well as the high school college counseling program;
- Direct professional development for the College Access and Persistence team, with an emphasis on training College Access & Persistence Fellows to become Counselors;
- Direct programming to educate scholars and their families about colleges, the college admissions process, trends, procedures, and testing;
- Meet with any key college admissions representatives who visit our campuses and facilitates meetings between college representatives and our Scholars;
- Schedule, design and manage family and scholar events pertaining to academic advising and college counseling and communicates with families regarding academic advising and college counseling, including processes involving financial aid, grants and scholarships;
- Receive and implement ongoing feedback and support from an outstanding educational leadership team and faculty;
- Liaise with the Network-based College Access and Persistence team to codify network-wide best practices and implement feedback; and
- Reports to the Executive Director.
Our High School Director of College Access & Persistence will have a minimum of five years experience. An advanced degree in field or related field is preferred (Bachelor’s Degree is required). Experience working in an urban school environment is a plus. Demonstrated competencies in the following areas are a must:
- Communication Skills: This position requires excellent interpersonal, written, verbal, and presentation skills. Requires working effectively with a diverse and demanding scholar and parent population during a critically important time in their lives.
- Previous Experience: Prior experience as a Director of College Counseling, College Counselor, or Senior Admission officer are pluses. You must possess knowledge of a wide range of colleges, their admissions processes, and financial policies and procedures.
- Stamina: You must possess the ability to handle the intensity required to thrive in a high-performing charter school and an ability to adjust to unexpected tasks and updated priorities.
- Collaborative. The capacity to work with other educators, while maintaining a sense of humor, and to be receptive to feedback and eager to learn from colleagues.
- Time-Management Prowess: No two days are alike in this position. You need to be able to deal with multiple issues simultaneously, ensure that no balls are dropped, and ensure that everyone is responded to and addressed in a timely fashion.
- Effective Public Speaking Skills: in order to ensure your community understands the often complex college admissions process, you need to effectively communicate to a diverse audience with a varying ranges of prior knowledge about the college process.
- Relationship Building: You need to possess the ability to form strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders including, but not limited to, parents, scholars, staff, leadership, and college admissions advisors.
Please provide a cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae and be advised that at advanced stages in the hiring process you will be required to provide names and contact information of at least three (3) professional references, and an official copy of your college transcripts. Your cover letter should explain why you think you’d be a good fit for this role and how your experiences would benefit the scholars as Success Academy High School.
Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
Back to top